cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SG 300-20 How do I configure to create to 5mbps vlans from 10mbps input

CNSS
Level 1
Level 1

I am consuling on a network upgrade for a customer that currenlty have two T-1 circuits with two separate routers, one for the business network and one for the client network. We are exploring the possiblity of upgrading to a 10Mbps Fiber Optic connection from AT&T.  We need to break the output of AT&T's Cisco 2800 Series Router into two 5Mbps circuits, one for the business network and on for the client network.  AT&T said that they do not do Traffic Shaping services out of their routers to divide the service into two separate outputs to the customer.

After consulting with a Cisco Sales representative, he suggested that we purchase a Cisco SG 300-20 Managed Switch to set up Layer 3 Qos switching to divide the 10Mbps bandwidth into two separate output/input circuits, one for the business network and one for the client network. Is this the correct way to accomplish this type of circuit bandwidth management?  And if so, can you assist me in setting up the SG 300-20 managed switch to accomplish this goal?  Can you send me the procedures for acomplishing this task?  I know that I can get help from Cisco Support once we have purchased the switch and are configuring it for service.

Attached are drawings of the current and proposed customers networks.

1 Reply 1

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Russel, you can accomplish this a lot of ways.

As an example you can make a specific port use only 5 megabit

config t

interface fastethernet 0/2

traffic-shape 5000 4096  (notice traffic-shape, this is egress of the port)

This will give 5000 KBits which is roughly 5 MBit.

In layer 2 mode, you can do bandwidth per VLAN. This feature is not available in layer 3 mode. However, the odd thing I found about this feature, I had to configured 12,000 KBps to achieve 5 MBit while running speed test. I would think it should be only 5,000...

config t

rate-limit 1 12000 3000

1 = the vlan ID 

12000 = commited information rate

3000 = commited burst rate (3000 is the lowest)

I personally prefer to use egress traffic shaping per port but that just depends how you plan to configure the router and wiring.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/