cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SG 300-28: how to configure it as DHCP server.

neoseer007
Level 1
Level 1

I am relatively new the configuring network switches. Could someone point me in right direction to configure SG300-28 as a DHCP server?

From the people I talked based on device specs it should be able to act as dhcp server. However, if we cannot, can it be configured so that clients get DHCP infomation from Firewall to which L3 switch is connected.

Thank you,

S.

4 Replies 4

David Hornstein
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Sreenath,

I guess when you try the GUI or CLI interface, you would have noticed there is no mention of DHCP server.

They both mention, as does the datahseet, DHCP relay;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps10898/data_sheet_c78-610061.html

Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) Relay at Layer 2

Relay of DHCP traffic to DHCP server in different VLAN. Works with DHCP Option 82

The new SG300-28 switch or  ordering p/n SRW2024-K9,   does not incorporate a DHCP server, but relies on DHCP relay to get IP addresses allocated to PC's on seperate VLANs.

If you needed a DHCP server within a Layer 3 switch you would have to look at the traditional Catalyst 3XXX series switch for that functionality.

I guess this is not the answer you wanted to hear.

regards Dave

Hi David,

I think I kind of misread this statement in specs doc.

DHCP Options facilitate tighter control from a central point (DHCP server) to obtain IP address,

auto-configuration (with configuration file download), and DHCP relay,

Thank you,

Sreenath.

The GUI 'emulator' on the cisco site for the SG300 does not show anything more than DHCP relay.  But if you turn on level 3 (change from L2 to L3 in adminstration; system) there apparently IS support for DHCP server. It even shows up in the GUI, I believe. The default out-of-the-box settings for the SG300 is Level 2. 

All,

DHCP server was added with 1.3 release  admin guide has been updated accordingly. However not the simulator.

Regards,

Aleksandra

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X