Views
Helpful
Replies

SG 300-28: losing password

bernd.lentes
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

we have two SG 300-28. I configured a password, and afterwards i saved the running configuration to the startup configuration. But afterwards i could login without a password ! How can this happen ?

Thanks in advance.

Bernd

7 Replies 7

David Hornstein
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

I am not sure what you mean by configured a password ?.

• Did you create a username and password. .
  • create a privileged level and password conbination  for access to the console port

What exactly did you try to achieve, really need some more details ? 

Did you try the same sort of thing,  that i just did below;

switch38cf#conf t

switch38cf(config)#ip telnet server  (did this so I could telenet into the box)

switch38cf(config)#no passwords complexity enable

switch38cf(config)#username dave privilege 15 pass letmein

switch38cf(config)#exit

switch38cf#wr

Overwrite file [startup-config] ?[Yes/press any key for no] yes

....22-May-2011 04:54:12 %COPY-I-FILECPY: Files Copy - source URL running-config destination URL flash://startup-config

22-May-2011 04:54:14 %COPY-N-TRAP: The copy operation was completed successfully Copy succeeded

But using the GUI is not a bad thing to use to configure the switch, especially if you are not used the this form  of command line interface.

regards Dave

Hi,

i created a password for the user cisco. For some time it worked, but suddenly i could login the user cisco without a password, and i don't have any idea why.

It did it using the web interface.

But i'd like to know how can i configure the way you did. If i login via telnet or ssh, i have a menu to configure, but not the CLI you used. Where do i find this CLI ?

Bernd

Hi Bernd,

Ah......i think all you need to  upgrade the firmware in your switches.

If you have no cli,  or a option for "textview" from the console menu, I am guessing that you are using a older form of firmware.

Verify that you have a older version of firmware older than firmware version 1.1.2.0

Grab the newer firmware from the following location;

chick here

Read the administrators guide on performing a firmware upgrade, but the basic process is from the GUI;

Step 1.   Administration > File Management > Upgrade/Backup Firmware

Step 2. "choose file"  and load the new firmware onto the switch

step 3.  Now select as highlighted in the screen shot " Active Image"

step 4.  Using the dropdown as shown in 1 (in screen caprture) Select firmware 1.1.2.0 to the the active image after reboot. and apply.  Then reboot the unit as shown in 3 (in screen caprture).

regards Dave

Hi David,

thanks for the quick reply. Now i have a CLI. But was is about my lost password ? Do you have any idea ?

Btw: how can i change the emailadress in my profile ?

Thanks.

Bernd

Hi Bernd,

I have no idea how to change the notification email address within this community..

But with lost passwords on two switches.. I really am guessing that there is some sort of operational issue, rather than a hardware issue.

If you could be so kind as to contact the Small business Support center (SBSC)  and allow them to use a collaborative service such as webex to your desktop and see what is happening. 

I really doubt if the switches are bad.

The Switches are covered by a tremendous warranty, so avail your self of that service, and speak to the good folk at the Small business Support Center.  Contact information is on the following link.

www.cisco.com/go/sbsc

regards Dave

This issue is present in 1.1.2.0 as well. Each time the issue occured the device had been online for a long period of time without being accessed. Power cycling the device restored proper login capability.

podcdonner
Level 1
Level 1

I did not occur to me to try logging in without a password until I saw your post. Indeed, the switch seems to "forget" the admin account's password in certain circumstances, and looging in as user cisco without a password worked!? Very odd.

If this is how the switch tells me that I have to upgrade the firmware, kudos, very creative.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X