cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SG 300 and WLC 2504

BeDevTeam
Level 1
Level 1

Has anyone out in the community had any success in connecting a wireless lan controller to a SG 300? I know the WLC 2504 needs to be connected to a L3 capable switch as well as a gigabit ethernet port. I am planning on upgrading the SG300's firmware to version 1.3.5.58. since the 1st version appears to have some issues switching into L3 mode.

Thanks,

- Bill

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The biggest caveat for most folks is the VLAN tagging. The switch in a lot of ways is like an IOS switch but it's simply not an IOS switch.

Just keep in mind that if you're making a layer 3 VLAN (IP address assigned to the VLAN), ensure the default VLAN first has a static IP address then proceed to make the additional VLAN interfaces.

config t

int vlan 1

ip address 192.168.1.254 /24  or anything else you want.

Then proceed to add the VLAN and IP addresses

config t

vlan database

vlan 100

int vlan 100

ip address x.x.x.x /xx

Then you can make trunks and so forth for desired VLANs.

config t

int gi0/1

switchport trunk allowed vlan add 100  <- this will make the port VLAN 1 untagged, VLAN 100 tagged

Most folks transitioning to this switch get caught up on these 2 things the most for some reason.

If you need help to configure the switch, you can always call the SBSC, they have 24 hour support (without contracts) or you can always feel free to hit me up (for free support too )

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Bill, I've run across a couple scenarios with folks using a WLC and the small business switches. Is there a specific issue you're having ?

-Tom

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

I'm just looking into general feedback at the moment. I had a TAC case opened on the WLC2504 not realizing that it needed L3 and gig ethernet connectivity for it to function properly. TAC would not commit to the fact that they will work in conjunction with each other and recommended I just check within the community.

So I guess I am looking for a couple of simple questions a) Will it work? and  b) Any got cha's to watch out for?

The biggest caveat for most folks is the VLAN tagging. The switch in a lot of ways is like an IOS switch but it's simply not an IOS switch.

Just keep in mind that if you're making a layer 3 VLAN (IP address assigned to the VLAN), ensure the default VLAN first has a static IP address then proceed to make the additional VLAN interfaces.

config t

int vlan 1

ip address 192.168.1.254 /24  or anything else you want.

Then proceed to add the VLAN and IP addresses

config t

vlan database

vlan 100

int vlan 100

ip address x.x.x.x /xx

Then you can make trunks and so forth for desired VLANs.

config t

int gi0/1

switchport trunk allowed vlan add 100  <- this will make the port VLAN 1 untagged, VLAN 100 tagged

Most folks transitioning to this switch get caught up on these 2 things the most for some reason.

If you need help to configure the switch, you can always call the SBSC, they have 24 hour support (without contracts) or you can always feel free to hit me up (for free support too )

-Tom

BeDevTeam
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for the feedback Tom. If I run into issues I will definitely hit this forum up again. I've spent most of my career in IOS so I will be breaking into some new ground here.