Views
Helpful
Replies

SG Switches

Ermir Morina
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings everyone! 

I have a problem with defining the firmware update path for Cisco SG Switches, I currently have SG 200,250,300 and 500 and the firmwares there are pretty old.

I would highly appreciate it if anybody could help me with any link or help me through the process of defining what needs to be done.

Kind regards,

Ermir.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Be sure to consult release notes for mandatory upgrade paths, if any. Would be a good idea to go through each one-by-one to be sure. If not mentioned in any set of release notes for a given model, I'd feel comfortable making a complete jump to newest.

View solution in original post

Dear Ermir,

for at least the SG-300 series, these require bootcode and firmware to be compatible. The bootcode is somewhat hidden on the download page for each product download.

Here is a pretty nice instruction how to hande the update: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyV5jpSjSM0.

I am not sure about the procedure for SG 200 and 250 product line.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

You should be able to find everything you need here. You'll need to login to access the downloads, and then you can search by product name.

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can download the latest firmware from the cisco software site using your CCO account and upgrade the firmware.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Ermir Morina
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you for your replies!

So the problem I am facing is I don't have a clear idea/instruction on the upgrade path i should take when I upgrade the firmwares from an older version to the newest, for example going from v1.1.x to v2.x should I jump directly or are there intermediate versions I should jump to before reaching the final version i want.

Be sure to consult release notes for mandatory upgrade paths, if any. Would be a good idea to go through each one-by-one to be sure. If not mentioned in any set of release notes for a given model, I'd feel comfortable making a complete jump to newest.

Hello Emir,

That is the only thing you have to pay attention with. Please navigate to page 8 in the release notes https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/csbss/sf20x_sg20x/release_notes/R_1_4_11_5_RN.pdf 

Regards,

Martin

Dear Ermir,

for at least the SG-300 series, these require bootcode and firmware to be compatible. The bootcode is somewhat hidden on the download page for each product download.

Here is a pretty nice instruction how to hande the update: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyV5jpSjSM0.

I am not sure about the procedure for SG 200 and 250 product line.

Thank you very much for your comment.

So I researched and I found out that what u said is true regarding the bootcode and firmware and also it applies to all the SG200 and SG300, SG500 series.

One more thing that is bugging my mind is the firmware upgrade of SG500 switches when they are on a stack, I read on some forums and release notes and everybody said that you only need to upgrade the Master's firmware and then that firmware will be propagated to the slave units.

Thank you very much for all your info and comments, I appreciate it! 

Hello Ermir,

With the Sx500 series switches, the software in a stack is auto synchronized meaning All the units in the stack must run the same software version (firmware and bootcode). Each unit in a stack automatically downloads firmware and boot code from the master unit if the firmware and/or boot code that the unit and the master are running is different. The unit automatically reboots itself to run the new version.

Please refer to the AG section "Software Autozynchronization In Stack" https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/csbms/Sx500/administration_guide/500_Series_Admin_Guide.pdf 

Regards,

Martin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X