cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SG100D-08P - How much power per port?

ValleyITPC
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all.  The Cisco docs continue to say "33.6W" dedicated power budget.  I'm new to PoE but what this cdoesn't answer is whether you can get all 33W on e asingle port if you wanted to, or is this an even split of about 8.xW per port.  I'd like to hook up an AP541N for example, which has a max draw of 9.9W, Therefore a single port on the SG100D-08P needs to support that much. 

I'm sure PoE is designed to faciliate an uneven per-port allocation else you'd be stuck with only one type of device on all ports of a given switch, but I want o confirm if I can.  Thank you! 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Valley, the switch cannot provide more than 12.95 watt per port. 802.3af specifies 15.4 watt which translates to actual 12.95 maximum per port.

The maximum budget would be 33.6w for the entire switch within the parameter of 802.3af.

It can sufficiently power any class 3 poe device (up to 3) and sufficiently power up to 8 class 1 poe devices and 4 class 2 poe devices

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Valley, the switch cannot provide more than 12.95 watt per port. 802.3af specifies 15.4 watt which translates to actual 12.95 maximum per port.

The maximum budget would be 33.6w for the entire switch within the parameter of 802.3af.

It can sufficiently power any class 3 poe device (up to 3) and sufficiently power up to 8 class 1 poe devices and 4 class 2 poe devices

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Not only is the answer very helpful but a question about power usage answered by Mr. Watts can't be wrong ! Seriously though thanks very much. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X