Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SG110 LEDs

We recently purchased some Cisco SG110-08 unmanaged eight-port switches.  I have a dumb question to ask (which is not addressed in the skimpy "Quick Start Guide," unfortunately).  My question involves the LED lights.  There are two LED indicators on each port.  On the left side is a clear light labeled LINK/ACT.  I assume that this light is steadily on when there is a link between the Cisco port and the connected device.  I also assume that when this light flashes, it indicates that activity is occurring.  The second LEG is labeled "Gigabit."  When a gigabit connection has been established, I assume that this light is green in color and steadily on.  Is that the way you can verify a gigabit connection?  What happens to this LED if a slower speed connection has been established (such as 10 or 100 MBPS).  Does the color of the light change to something else or is it just off unless the connection speed is gigabit?  Finally, are there any conditions under which the color of these lights are different from these descriptions (e.g, amber)?  If so, what does that mean?

Thanks very much for your help in answering these basic questions.  I just want to make sure that we are interpreting these port lights correctly.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi, My name is Iliya Gatsev from Cisco Technical Support Team.

For example on SG110-16:

- if left LED light is flashing green and the right LED light is solid green - it indicates that activity is occurring on 1G

- if left LED light is flashing green and the right LED light is OFF - it indicates that activity is occurring on 100 Mbps or 10 Mbps for example.

- if left LED light is flashing amber and the right LED light is solid green - check the cables for network loop.

- if left LED light is solid amber and the right LED light is OFF - most probably you have PoE capable device attached, but there is no link anymore .

Please rate this post or marked as answered to help other Cisco customers.

Iliya Gatsev
Cisco TAC Network Engineer
Together we are the human network .:|:.:|:. CISCO

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

MB2
Level 1
Level 1

Hello jnork@infinitysoft.com,

I have the same issue. One of the LEDs is amber...

Dids you received any reaction regarding this topic?

Kind regards, MB

Unfortunately I have not received any responses about this question.

Hi, My name is Iliya Gatsev from Cisco Technical Support Team.

For example on SG110-16:

- if left LED light is flashing green and the right LED light is solid green - it indicates that activity is occurring on 1G

- if left LED light is flashing green and the right LED light is OFF - it indicates that activity is occurring on 100 Mbps or 10 Mbps for example.

- if left LED light is flashing amber and the right LED light is solid green - check the cables for network loop.

- if left LED light is solid amber and the right LED light is OFF - most probably you have PoE capable device attached, but there is no link anymore .

Please rate this post or marked as answered to help other Cisco customers.

Iliya Gatsev
Cisco TAC Network Engineer
Together we are the human network .:|:.:|:. CISCO

Many thanks for your response!

Hello lliya,

I have SG110d-08 switches (NON-POE).  Regarding the amber light on switch....

Your answer about POE

"- if left LED light is solid amber and the right LED light is OFF - most probably you have PoE capable device attached, but there is no link anymore ."

I am experiencing solid amber left side light when simply plugging in a patch cable to the port of the switch that is connected to a patch panel that goes to a RJ45 wall jack on the other end with nothing plugged into it.

If I unplug the patch cable from the patch panel and leave it plugged into the switch the amber light goes off in a minute or so.

Makes no sense why a ports amber light remains steady if electrically that port has no termination at the other end.

No light will show on a port with only a 1ft patch cable plugged into the port and not plugged in on the other side of the cable.

But then plugging that other end of the 1ft patch cable to a patch panel that has nothing plugged into the other end of that patch panels terminating RJ45 jack, then the light on that port turns solid amber.

I sure think Cisco should publish a complete LED status chart for the 110 series switches.  I don't understand why this information is not available anywhere.

Is there an update on the description of this behavior?

Thanks!!!!

Alan

If the left Orange light comes on for 10-20 seconds every 30-40 seconds when the connected device is off what does it mean? The right light is off all the time as it is probably a 10/100 connection. The switch is a CBS110-8t-d. 

RPIvers
Level 1
Level 1

I have a SG112-24 and using it with an Orbi (NetGear) AC3000 router and with a single Orbi Satellite.  The Cisco switch is the main switch in my LAN in that all devices are connected to it and the router is connected to the cable modem via WAN port.  Very straightforward.  The Cisco switch, however, has an amber flashing light on the port that connects to the Orbi AC3000 router's LAN port.  Nothing else is connected to the Orbi's LAN ports.  The Orbi console shows good connection 1G/Full duplex to the Cisco.  Everything is working as expected on the LAN, including using the ORBI Satellite as a wired backhaul thru the Cisco.  The only issue (and it may not be an issue) is the amber flashing light on the Cisco port that the Orbi router is using - which, if I follow this thread, says indicates a network loop.  Could it be that the Cisco is detecting the Orbi's satellite peer and thinks that is a loop?  The Satellite's port does not have an Amber flashing light.  Anyone ever see this before?  

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X