Views
Helpful
Replies

SG200-08 Firmware Downgrade

lsgoodwin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have two identical SG200-08 units, 1 unit has firmware version 1.0.1.0 and the other has firmware version 1.0.5.1 (the lastest firmware - I upgraded this unit 6 months ago).

The unit running the v1.0.1.0 has been running flawless.

The unit running the v1.0.5.1 hasn't been running so flawless, I find that after a couple weeks of use, the HTTP web configuration becomes extremely slow, to the point that it times out while trying to load pages, if I try and ping the unit, I am getting response times of 300-400ms (usually it is 2-3ms). The switch itself seems to pass traffic still but I do get pixelization on my IPTV stream from time to time. If I power cycle the unit, it returns to normal, ping times of 2-3ms, the HTTP web confguration becomes quick, pages load instantly, everything seems to work good for another couple of weeks.

I did happen to stumble upon this post:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2169061

I haven't noticed if my CPU utilization jumps like mentioned in the above post. I will have to check the next time before I reset the unit.

If I do discover that I have the same CPU utilization issue (to which there seems to be no solution to resolve it), can I downgrade the firmware from 1.0.5.1 to 1.0.1.0?

Thanks!                   

6 Replies 6

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Isgoodwin, go ahead and downgrade to the 1.0.1.0 and reset the unit and see if the problem follows. It's kind of interesting you're having a similar problem as Jasper.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the response. Seeing as 1.0.1.0 isn't available for download from the Cisco website, can I grab the firmware from the other unit running 1.0.1.0 via a firmware backup?

Thanks!

I don't know if the 8 port has a second image stored, but if it does, check to see if you can swap active image and see what is there on the switch in question.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Hi Tom,

There was no second image stored so here is what I did:

I logged into the unit running 1.0.1.0, did a firmware backup.

I logged into the unit running 1.0.5.1 and did a firmware upgrade using the 1.0.1.0 image.

I crossed my fingers, because I wasn't sure if it would brick the unit, and when the unit rebooted it came back up as 1.0.1.0.

All seems well thus far, hopefully Cisco will release 1.0.5.1+ firmware but until that time I plan to stick with 1.0.1.0.

Thanks!

Hi,

I had the same issue with two SG200-08, one PoE and one standard, both running 1.0.5.1 firmware. They both showed 99% CPU load constantly.

I tried a bunch of things, but for me "Administration/Discovery - Bonjour" and unchecking Enable (disabling it) sorted this out on both. Based on this I would think that there is an issue with the implementation of this feature.

Regards,

Stian

bhackbarth
Level 1
Level 1

The dual firmware image feature starts on the 300 series. Good information on the firmware backup from a different device. As long as the image is from same 'series' you should be ok flashing it. I have a few 200 series out there so I'll go check them out.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X