Views
Helpful
Replies

SG200-08 firmware issue

RMBaltzer
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have upgraded my SG200-08 switches from firmware version 1.0.5.1 to version 1.0.6.2. Since that new firmware is active, the network-printing from my Macbooks and iMacs is not working anymore. They all have TCP/IP connected network printers (not based on Bonjour connections) and they cannot print anymore; timeout communicating to printer. Windows workstations on the same network are still able to print to the network printers, only the Mac's do have this problem.

I am still able to view printer-information via the Mac's, so communicating is still possible. Also surfing to the admin-page of these printers is still working, only sending the actual print-job is failing.

I have reset the SG200-08 switches to factory defaults, but still no printing.

Finallly I did a downgrade, back to firmware version 1.0.5.1 and now printing from the Mac's is working again.

Any ideas, perhaps a firmware bug?

I have seen the new firmware version 1.2.9.44, but there are only language files available for the SG200-08, no firmware file...

So I don't know if this new version perhaps solves this problem.

Kind regards,

Rene.

106 Replies 106

Please post the corrected firmware to your downloads site.

Hello Robert,

Our Engineering team is working towards that. Once the firmware is ready to be posted on Cisco.com, we will update it on the download site. Please stay tuned.

Thanks,

Nagaraja

Stay tuned? This thread was started back in March. At this point, waiting longer and not switching to a non-Cisco switch would be a sign of insanity. How absurd.

Another example of Ciscos' understanding of support can be found here. Same thing: software version renders switch completely unusable (in this case SG300 that keeps rebooting) and that software revision is still available for general download.

As a software developer myself, I have no idea why fixing such an isolated issue should take a multi month period to release a fix. As a consequence, we are currently replacing all our Cisco switches. Probably so should you.

Please post on this thread when an update is available. In the meantime I am downloading the 1.0.5.1 firmware from here (

http://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=283454003&flowid=24421&softwareid=282463182&release=1.0.6.2&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest) and will attempt a downgrade.

Frankly I am appalled at the level of quality in the 200-08 line. There have been multiple regressions across firmware versions for this device. I expect better from Cisco.

FWIW I downgraded and I have been fine and stable. 

Any news in this case?

....or is Cisco prepared to take my devices back?

Find no words to comment this anymore! What a joke!

Exact the same problem running ESXi 5.5 and a Synology 412+. NFS shares stay disconnected but iSCSI works without any problem.

On top of this: I used another switch to connect to NFS shares (make the initial connection); after quickly switching cables to the SG200-08, NFS shares remains 100% functional. Not a serious workaround, so I am downgrading 1.0.5.1 which indeed solved all the problems.

November 12th EIGHT months after this tread started: Exact same issue here. Realized yesterday that the backup isn't working anymore (runs over NFS).

After  a night before my screen trying to fix everything but not thinking  about the firmware upgrade I did a week ago I found this thread - and  yes, it works again now by just reinstalling the old firmware.

I'm  deeply disappointed in Cisco. This error is known for more than EIGHT  months now and you do not think it would be useful to place a warning in  the download sector?

Do you see the effort that people took to report this error above, trying to tell you to fix that error in a timely manner?

Do  you know the cost of the people that still run into this issue wasting  time and effort to fixing a problem known by you since more than EIGHT  months - and maybe face a data loss resulting in even higher cost?

Do you realize what at the end this could also cost CISCO by losing its clients trust in the brand?

I can understand that fixing a problem needs some time - at least if you want to ensure the quality.

But  placing a warning in the download sector would be a 10 minutes job for  the content management team, saving your partners and clients around the  globe hundreds of hours of research and reduce your reputation risk! -  That's awful.

Hello Stefan,

Please be advised that there is a beta firmware available for testing and we would appreciate if you can take this opportunity to test this version whilst providing feedback on it.

It is always vital that constructive comments are made which helps us to speed up firmware release process.

Regards,

Aleksandra

Dear Aleksandra,

Please be advised that you do neither offer beta firmware downloadable by link nor by email request.

Yes, of course you would appreciate to outsource beta testing to your customers.

I'm sorry, but your reply is rather bitter sweet. The bug is reproducible and in depth documented here.

After eight months, you're still talking about "speeding up" the release process. Really?

Yet broken firmware is offered for download without even a heads up notice.

Remember, this is not about an esoteric feature that has to be enabled deep in the configuration.

No, it is about basic core functionality, broken for devices out of the box.

My advice: If Cisco wants to get rid of the Small Business class, just tell us or stop selling it. But stop ****ing us.

Dear All,

Cisco Small Business Support tickets can be open by calling our Team in Support Center: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/support/tsd_cisco_small_business_support_center_contacts.html

Aleksandra

Dear Aleksandra,

tried both: Online chat, but nobody connected, tried to call but nobody answered.

Maybe it's because your support channels are not 24/7 but there is no information when support is available.

An email address would be convenient but I can see that Cisco doesn't want any convenience for its customers.

Worst of all: The links in the URL you provided us, link back to this forum. Ever gone in circles?

Hi Walter, if you would like, I will be happy to create a case on your behalf.

Please email me the following-

Your Cisco ID

Serial number of the switch

Preferred Primary and secondary contact number (time zone and availability)

Preferred email address

I will register a case on your behalf and try to coordinate a call back for you.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X