Views
Helpful
Replies

SG200-08P Does it do CDP? Not available anywhere in config

dino55088
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

this is the most pathetic switch I have ever had to work with. I cannot believe Cisco can release this into the market as a configurable device. Very disappointing.

Working in small business there is small margins and you cannot expect to spend a whole day finding out how to add a Cisco 7965 switch to use voice vlan 200 and data vlan 300 off the PC port on phone.

Doco says CDP enabled and Smartport enabled and configurable but I cannot get any to work in any combination- even added MAC in OUI table.

There is nowhere in config where CDP is able to be configured or viewed. upgraded from 1.0.6.2 to 1.0.8.3

Somebody knows how to do this? please enlighten me.

Thanks

Dino

7 Replies 7

slstratt
Level 1
Level 1

Hello dino55088,

Thank you for using the Small Business Support Community!

CDP properties can be configured by going to Administration > Discovery - CDP > Properties.

Best,

Taylor

there is no Discovery-  CDP.

Only LLDP ! Downloaded latest version and same still ie no CDP.

All the other SG200 devices I tested have the CDP option, but I wasn't able to get my hands on a SG200-08P, unfortunately. However, according to the admin guide your particular SG200 switch doesn't have an option for CDP; which is a little strange since LLDP is still there.

Therefore, it looks like the SG200-08P doesn't have that option available. However, on page 75 of the admin guide, it says that "Although the switch does not itself support CDP, it can forward CDP packets on behalf of connected devices within a VLAN." This appears to be the extent of this switch's capabilities with CDP.

Best,

Taylor

thanks or your response. 

So back to my original question, can i have a port with voice vlan 200 and data vlan 300 ?

I have a cisco phone and i want to plug a pc into the pc port of that phone. So far i cannot get working. I can hang this off a working 3850 that can inject cdp or be a static trunk port etc. I tried adding OUI based voip as per doco but could no get data vlan working.

Basically cannot get this to work at all   ...

Hello my name is Jonathan and i am one of the Engineers here at the Cisco SBSC team. I apologize for the inconvenience with this unit.

I checked and indeed you are correct as taken from the administration guide this model sg200-08 does not support  cisco Discovery Protocol, instead it uses LLDP so

-the first thing would be to have a 2 vlans created on the switch (voice and data), for this you can go to vlan Management> create vlan.

-once you have them created you will need to create a trunk port that contains both vlans and the data vlan has to be untagged and your voice vlan will be tagged you can do this process in vlan management> vlan membership. 

after this you plug the phone into the port you configured with both vlans and it will get an ip address from that range then the pc will be on the phone and it will get an ip address for the data vlan. I hope this helps. thanks and have a great day.

If you need further assistance you can give us a call at 1-866-606-1866. 

hi Jonathon and thanks for your input.

have you actually got this working because i cannot?

The phone and PC do not link into the correct VLANs together.

The phone does not bind to the tagged voice VLAN. The PC works on untagged though.

Hello dino55088

with the configuration i pasted before it should work, but let's check if the unit  is on the correct firmware, this is the latest version we have for this model 1.0.8.3, then let me know, does your router support  vlan configuration, if so test by connecting the phone directly to the router and check that the dhcp is working fine, next if that is ok please try to change one of the ports to access and check if the dhcp is getting through the switch. if that does not work please try a factory reset on the unit and test again with the trunk options. normally this configuration works fine for our switches. 

if you need further assistance please call us back at 1-866-606-1866. let me know how it goes. thanks 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X