cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SG200-08P (SNMP and ACL to restricture NMS IP)

choywy
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I've this SG200-08P (PID: SLM2008PT V02; Firmware: 1.0.6.2) and have a couple of questions:

1. How do I activate SNMP and put in the community string? I can't find any tab on this?

2. How do create a ACL so that I can restrict which IP can poll/access this switch?

Thanks..

6 Replies 6

devils_advocate
Level 7
Level 7

In terms of SNMP, I think you need a 1.3.x firmware version for this, then use the following commands from the CLI:

snmp-server location "Location"

snmp-server contact "Name"

snmp-server community public rw view Default

snmp-server group public v2 read Default write Default

The SG300 supports Management Profiles but I am sure if the SG200 does, check here:

Security > Management Access Method > Profile Rules 

Thanks...

I have this "SG200-08P 8-Port Gigabit POE Smart Switch" but the latest firmware from CCO is "1.0.8.3" dated "29 Sep 2014"....

Does that mean there is no firmware update for this model? ie. It can't support SNMP polling?

Yes that does appear to be the case.

It seems some of the higher port SG200 switches have later firmware versions, some dated February 2016 so I suspect Cisco just haven't released a later one for your model yet.

I can only suggest getting in touch with your Account Manager and asking. 

Thanks

I've been in contact with the company who sold me the switch, as i can't contact Cisco myself without being a reseller or partner, and they told me that Cisco doesn't have information on when or if they are planning to release firmware with added support for SNMP on the sg200-08 switch.

A lame answer, as they could either tell people that this particular model just isn't going to have SNMP, or release the same firmware as the other models in the series.

But what can you do? not like you can force mighty Cisco to lift a finger anyway...

I would like to know if you find any solution for this, I will also try to contact Cisco myself, since its a supported feature according to the product sheet:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/small-business-200-series-smart-switches/data_sheet_c78-634369.pdf

I have checked that data sheet and there is explicitly stated that SNMP is supported on all models except of SG200-08 and SG200-08P (which is unfortunate).

Snip from PDF:

Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP):
SNMP versions 1, 2c, and 3 with support for traps, and SNMP version 3 user
-based security model (USM)
Not supported on SG200
-08 and SG200-08P

In summary the OS of SG200-08/08P is quite simplified/lightweight with missing many features, not only SNMP. Like CLI (no SSH or TELNET), HTTPS, TACACS. If I knew these limitations, then I would consider not to buy them for semi-enterprise usage.