cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SG200-26P [FW-1.1.2.0] - Very High Response Time: >1000ms!

meratechstuff
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Problem: New SG-200 26P Smart Switch with Latest Firmware - Very High Responce Time 500-800ms

We've a EdgeMarc 4500 Router with 10 VPN tunnels to 10 brach locations. SG-200 26P Smart Switch is connected to 7 Servers (2 Terminal, SQL, and Other) All locations have 50MB Download and 20MB Upload speed from Verizon FiOS Internet service.

As per the SolarWind tool, the response time of this switch is around at 500ms. At the same time, the EdgeMarc 4500 router response time is around 40ms and less.

We've 60 desktops remotely connected to our SQL Server database and 40 RDP Users via Remote Desktop. The configuration is same from past 3 years. But we change the switch from HP 1800-24G to Cisco due to some Connection Failures. For Connection Failures, we first suspect the old HP switch, but it's look like issue with EdgeMarc Router.

Is this Response Time is normal? I attached two screenshots of both Cisco Switch and EdgeMarc Router Response Time from past 24 hours according to SolarWind tool. Any further advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

nimusell
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Srinath,

Thank you for participating in the Small Business support community. My name is Nico Muselle from Cisco Sofia SBSC.

The response time from the switch could be considered as quite normal. Reason for this is that the switch gives CPU priority to it's actual duties which would of course be switching, access lists, VLANs, QoS, multicast and DHCP snooping etc etc. As a result of that, ping response times of the switch itself do not show in any way the correct working of the switch.

I invite you to try pinging clients connected to the switch, you should be able to notice that response times to the clients are a lot lower than response times of the switch itself.

Hope this answers your question !

Best regards,

Nico Muselle

Sr. Network Engineer - CCNA - CCNA Security

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

nimusell
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Srinath,

Thank you for participating in the Small Business support community. My name is Nico Muselle from Cisco Sofia SBSC.

The response time from the switch could be considered as quite normal. Reason for this is that the switch gives CPU priority to it's actual duties which would of course be switching, access lists, VLANs, QoS, multicast and DHCP snooping etc etc. As a result of that, ping response times of the switch itself do not show in any way the correct working of the switch.

I invite you to try pinging clients connected to the switch, you should be able to notice that response times to the clients are a lot lower than response times of the switch itself.

Hope this answers your question !

Best regards,

Nico Muselle

Yes, I received less response times when I ping servers connected to this Switch. Since we're receiving "Connection Failures" (our software unable to connect SQL database and displays connection failure error messages in addition to terminal server freezes for a moment), I'm trying to pin point exact issue.

I too observed the same behaviour in old HP switch earlier. So I can safely ignore this high response time report, right? Thanks.

Hi Srinath,

If the response times for your servers seem correct to you, you can safely disregard the high response time on the switch. You'll see that if the switch load gets higher, response time for the switch will increase even more, while ping times to the devices, servers connected to the switch will be almost the same as the results you had now.

If you think my answer is the correct solution to your request, thank you for marking the question as answered

Have a nice weekend !

Best regards,

Nico Muselle

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X