Views
Helpful
Replies

SG200-50 Multicast Configuration

dgrup
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

All,

I am part of the CUCM TAC team and please bear with me as I do not handle much of the networking/switching aspect and really have no clue when it comes to the switches I am asking about.

I've done some research and I can only find documentation regarding additional settings within multicast for the SG200-50 and the SR2024 switches. Do these switches inherently support multicast or is there configuration necessary to turn multicast on? Where can I find documentation on setting up basic multicast ability?

A bit of back history, I have a case with a customer using Informacast Paging service. Informacast utilizes a multicast stream and we can't seem to validate the stream beyond the Informacast server. This leads me to believe that multicast is not enabled on the devices and therefore the phones are not receiving multicast.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

-Dave Grup

2 Replies 2

jonrodr2
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Dave,

My name is Jonathan and I am one of the Engineers here at Cisco SBSC.

Answering to your question, yes, this units can be configure so below i have paste the link on the step by step configuration for Multicast. I hope this helps. 

Thanks.

http://sbkb.cisco.com/CiscoSB/ukp.aspx?vw=1&docid=06fd0ae74b9a4c638250ad55e1bfcaed_Adding_IP_Multicast_Group_Addresses_on_Cisco_Smart_Switches.xml&pid=2&respid=0&snid=4&dispid=0&cpage=search 

Hi Jonathan,

I am uncertain if this will work across 2 VLANs. The network is made of some SG-200 switches and 3rd party router.

I have one device in VLAN 2 which is multicasting SSDP (239.255.255.250) packets on the network.  The 'server' is located in VLAN 1 for this service and the packets currently do not cross the VLAN boundary.  

Is this something that can be remedied with some SG-200 configuration, or the router needs to be somehow involved to enable this?

Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X