Views
Helpful
Replies

SG200-50P boot problem and PoE related errors

the.dawning.sky
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a SG200-50P.  It had a problem with the PoE ports (didn't supply power to my Bosch POE security cameras) so I updated it to the latest firmware.  Now it does recognize the cemeras and supplies power to them.  However, there are a few problems:

1. The boot time is extremely long, maybe 15-20 minutes for it to become ready.  I've tried to reset to factory default settings, push the reset button for 30+ seconds, and disconnect all the ports.  The boot time was always very long.

2. Even thought it supplies power to the cameras, the PoE lights on the ports are not lit.

3. The log is filled with this error, posted every second.

21474345202013-Apr-12 11:40:23Alert%HAL_config_poe-A-POEFailDetected: POE ERROR(i2c_read_mem failed addr 0x12e6 dev_num 0 val 0x0) was detected: POE is Disabled untill Reset     
21474345212013-Apr-12 11:40:22Alert%HAL_config_poe-A-POEFailDetected: POE ERROR(i2c_read_mem failed addr 0x139c dev_num 0 val 0x0) was detected: POE is Disabled untill Reset     

Occasionally it has his error

21474345252013-Apr-12 11:40:19Alert%HAL_config_poe-A-POEFailDetected: POE ERROR(HALP_config_poe_690xx_check_master_reset - Master HW RESET . val 0x0 dev_num 0!!) was detected: POE is Disabled unt ill Reset

And these errors are generated even if I disconnect all the PoE ports.

11 Replies 11

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi dawning, looks like an overload error. Usually the ports go to a shut down/fail state when there is not a valid resistance or bad signatures.

So, if you reboot the switch without the POE devices connected do those errors persist?

Do these problems persist when connecting only 1 POE device after a reboot?

Can you provide the exact model number of your POE device?

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Tom,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have two Bosch security camera connected for now, one NDN-265-PIO adn one NTC-265-PI.  But the error persists even when I reboot with no PoE devices connected.

And how about the long boot time?  How long normally does it take to reboot?  I don't remember it took that long before I upgraded the firmware.

The switch boot time should be 3-5 minutes. Before on the 1.1.2 firmware it was much faster, 2 minutes or so. But with the additions on the later firmwares the boot time about doubles.

Looks like the camera is 802.3af about 6 watt power,

I may recommend to disable POE on any port that is not using POE.Verify the switch is on port limit instead of class limit (should be by default). Another thing you can do is disable the Green ethernet to ensure it is not giving any kind of conflicting power setting.

As for the boot time, that is bizarre. Do you have an overloaded UPS or circuit supplying power? That may be the cause for all of it.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

I have a Tripp Lite SMART1000RM2U 1000VA 700W Rack Mount UPS supplying the switch and a router and a couple other small things.  I don't think the UPS is overloaded. 

I just disabled the EEE under Green Ethernet and the error persists.

PoE is on port limit and it says "Available Power 180W" and "Consumed Power 0W", even though I have two cameras on right now. 

And I cannot even enter the "Setting" submenu under PoE to disable the unused ports.  The interface just hangs there.

I think the whole PoE part is malfunctioning.

I have similar issue, with a SG 500-28P

In console show:
i2c_status fail : 1

In the log says:

%HAL_config_poe-A-POEFailDetected: POE ERROR (i2c_read_mem failed addr ....) was detected: POE is Disabled untill Reset.
%HAL_config_poe-A-POEFailDetected: POE ERROR (i2c_read_mem failed addr ....) was detected: POE is Disabled untill Reset.

I was do, the Factory Reset, upgrade at next firmware, cold start, and the error still continuous.

After reed so more, i have some ideas about my problem.

I suppose that the reason because the time in "booting process" its too long, its because the CPU use and memory its full used by the error registering. In general all web interface of the admin feels "slow".

I was using several PoE elements connected when my SG 500-28P switch began to fail. Now the switch it's "working", but the interfaces only work with active elements with no needs PoE.

Any thing that need PoE doesnt work.

The PoE options in the interface web, try to view it, hangs the admin website.
I thing that the PoE controller fail, or something go wrong with it.

Everything that i did, didn't work. Update the boot code and firmware code to the last version; don't solve the issue.

I contacted the Cisco SMB Support and they give me an RMA for my switch.
Easy: The replacement it's the solution.

Greetings.

So over the weekend I downgrade the firmware to 1.1.2.0.  With this older firmware, the switch became ready in ~2 min. However, the PoE ports didn't recognize my cameras.  And I should mention in the switch stated the maximum available PoE power is only 1 W with this firmware, even though I don't have any PoE device running.

I then switched back to 1.3.0.59 and timed the booting process.  After ~20 min, the ports started to function and after ~25 min, the Web interface became ready.  But if I look at the "uptime" under "system summary", it indicated the switch had been up for ~23 min when the login page was ready.

I've tested my camera with anothe smaller Juniper PoE router and it appeared to function fine.  I now suspect there's some problem with my switch's PoE hardware.

dawning, did you ever resolve this ot get a replacement switch?  I am seeing these errors on one switch in a 3 switch stack now.

-- please remember to rate helpful posts --

-- please remember to rate and mark answered helpful posts --

I did an RMA and it's now working fine.

Thanks for that.  I meant to update this myself.  I found a cable issue.  Specifically wires 7&8 were crossed on the stack cable.  After fixing it no more errors.

-- please remember to rate helpful posts --

-- please remember to rate and mark answered helpful posts --

kamik
Level 1
Level 1

i have the same error on SG250-08hp and replaced poe controller PD69208M on board. after that the switch boots up normally again