cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SG200 and SRW2048 trunk problems.

softcomet
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to set up a trunk between an SG200 and a SRV2048...

I am attaching my configuration that not works..

I test to ping an host that is open on Vlan 22 on Swich01 from the other switch, SWITCH02 , from a port 26 that I opened on VLAN 22 in untagged mode but nothing works..

This is the schema :

SWITCH 01 ==PORTge08===TRUNK==PORT23===SWITCH02

My hardware:

Switch : SG200-18 Hostname: SW01 Firmware: 1.2.7.76

Switch : SRW2048 Firmware: 1.2.2d

Thanks for any help!

Marco

11 Replies 11

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi softcornet, the port your connecting the computer to, is it also vlan 22 untagged for each side?

computer vlan 22 untagged <-> 22u switch 22u <-> 22u switch 22u <-> 22u computer

All links involved should be 22 untagged.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

HI Tom,

in switch 01 i have a Untagged port that belong to Vlan 22, this port is Ge 18 where i connect my Cisco Asa Firewall with ip 192.168.20.254.

than, i set port Ge8 on switch01 in trunk mode and i connected it to switch 02, alway in trunk mode, to port 23.

On the switch 02 , as you see in my cfg, i created the Vlan22 and i assigned as untagged port , port 26.

In that port, 26, i connected my laptop and i pinged my switch but it doen't work.....

Marco.

to make this work GE8 and Port23 need to be in "ACCESS" mode.

(i.e. untagged)

In case you only want to transport this subnet via this link, this would be the best solution.

other solutions involve to change the default VLAN or change the mode to "GENERAL' but that will get more complicated.

Reassigning of VLAN tags is not supported on both switches

Jo

Hi Joachim,

what i know is (from

http://community.linksys.com/t5/Switches/access-general-or-trunk-Tagged-or-not-Getting-desperate/td-p/161352 )

:

Access Mode - means the port is locked to a single untagged vlan..

Trunk Mode - This seems to be designed to connect 2  switches. vlan 1 is always untagged and all over vlans are enabled on  this port as tagged. By connecting 2 switches with "trunk" on both will  allow you to "trunk" the vlans between switches.

General Mode -  In this mode you can configure the port any way you want. You can  have any vlan as the untagged one and you can have as many or as few  vlans tagged as you like. Use this is you want to have vlan X as  untagged and vlan Y as tagged and vlan Z excluded.

In my case, i have both my switches in trunk... i thought that is the right way...

Marco

Sorry , I misread your problem. You are using VLAN 22 in both switches. And you are correct. I thought you were using VLAn 22 in one switch and VLAN 26 in the other switch.

Please assign VLAN 22 as tagged VLAN to port GE8 and port 23, they are not added automatically when you configure trunk mode.

And after reading your pdf I see you did that as well

How is your ip networking setup ?

you should  able to ping the ASA. You will not be able to ping the switch from VLAN 22.

Unless the ASA will allow this or the switch is in layer 3 mode.

softcomet
Level 1
Level 1

i tried  not only with ASA, but also with a PC to avoid problems during test, but from switch02 or switch01 i can't ping the host that belong to vlna22... so the trunk doen't work...

the test is this:

PING FROM port Ge 18 (untagged and belong to Vlan22 on swith01)

====TRUNK====

PING TO port Ge 26 (untagged and belong to Vlan22 on swith02)

I have a bad feeling...

I think that the model SRW2048 is not compatible with SG200 with trunking .... is it possible?

Hi Soft, these switches are compatible.

The problem is going to lie in only a few places.

1.) Do you have a mislabeled wired?

2.) Is each port involved vlan 22 untagged? (computer a, sg200, srw, computer b)

3.) Are the computers on the same IP subnet and subnet mask match?

4.) Do you have a firewall or something that blocks ICMP such as Windows Firewall enabled?

5.) Do you have port failure on any port of the switches?

The port setting trunk is not relevant. As long as the port is 22 untagged for every connection and you don't have an external factor, it works fine.

-Tom

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

1.) Do you have a mislabeled wired? NO

2.) Is each port involved vlan 22 untagged? (computer a, sg200, srw, computer b) YES

3.) Are the computers on the same IP subnet and subnet mask match? YES

4.) Do you have a firewall or something that blocks ICMP such as Windows Firewall enabled? NO

5.) Do you have port failure on any port of the switches? NO

Tom, have you read my cfg ?

Marco

Yes I did, thanks. You have an external factor breaking your stuff. That's why the questions. Something either changes on the switch config or you have something break your stuff or a wire that is not labeled correctly.

We can only give you and idea of what possible external factors are or to double check your work... either way you've got a problem and what is provided does not indicate a problem with the switch.

I'd recommend to double check nothing is changed, if it remains the same, you have a funky wire or external configuration such as firewall, weird WIFI connection simultaneous or something no one could know but you.

-Tom

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X