Views
Helpful
Replies

SG200 Management Interface Question

jasondharper
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have some SG200 configured with multiple VLANs.  VLAN 140 is my management VLAN and the management address of the SG200 is set within this VLAN.  This works fine.

At the moment, I have one port set as an access port on VLAN 140 that I used when configuring the switch.  I have another port that is a trunk port in which VLAN 140 is included.  I am trying to set the access port from 140 to another VLAN but receive this message:

Error: This Operation will cause losing Management Access.

Does the switch require one physical port to be untagged in the managemenet VLAN despite the fact that I'm accessing the switch just fine over the trunk port and nothing is connected to the VLAN 140 port?

Thank you!
Jason

4 Replies 4

mpyhala
Level 7
Level 7

Jason,

Did you change the Default VLAN?

Change the default vlan under VLAN Management > Default vlan Settings. This will change all ports and the management vlan.

Is anything connected to the access port? Try connecting to the access port before changing it to another VLAN.

- Marty

Thank you for the reply!  The default VLAN is 1.  My management VLAN is 140.  In the management access settings, I have assigned a static IP in my management VLAN and set the VLAN to be 140.  That all works fine - no issues accessing the switch within that VLAN.

The only issue I'm having is the switch not letting me assign the only port set to VLAN 140 to something else (VLAN 10 for example).  I've tried reassigning both while having a host connected to that port and with nothing connected.  Still the same result. 

Not sure why it won't let me change it.

Thanks again!
Jason

Hi Jason, I'm not sure if this is poorly written or not.

The only issue I'm having is the switch not letting me assign the only  port set to VLAN 140 to something else (VLAN 10 for example).  I've  tried reassigning both while having a host connected to that port and  with nothing connected.  Still the same result. 

If the only port assigned to VLAN 140 and you're trying to remove VLAN 140 from the only port that contains this, the switch would become unmanageable in every capacity.

So you're saying you'd like to have the switch configured as you like then make it impossible to manage? That's the impression you're leaving.

The management VLAN must be assigned to at least one port.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Jason,

I don't think that the switch is going to allow you to change the port setting because it forces you to have at least one untagged port in the management VLAN. Change the trunk port to VLAN 140 Untagged, then change the other port as you wish. (Assuming that it makes no difference to you what VLAN is untagged on the trunk)

Please make sure you have a copy of your current config backed up just in case you need to restore. Also, don't copy the running config to the startup config so if you get locked out for some reason you can simply reboot the switch and be right back to where you are now.

Let me know how you make out.

- Marty

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X