Views
Helpful
Replies

SG220 Randomly Reboots

Ross Phillips
Level 1
Level 1

HI,

We have 3 SG220 switches which randomly reboot.

When monitoring these the HTTPS service will stop working then a few days later the switch will reboot itself.

Its on the latest version of code and from what I can see there hasn't been any updates for about a year.

Anyone else had this issue and does anyone know any fixes.

Thanks

Ross

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Dave:, i apologize for your frustration, I'm the Cisco Community Manager for Small Business. Let me see if I can help. Please describe your issue as I'm not quite clear if it's the same issue on this discussion. 

View solution in original post

52 Replies 52

Michal Bruncko
Level 4
Level 4

hi Ross

unfortunately I don't observe similar issue neither I can't provide you any quick resolution. But instead I would recommend you to set remote syslog server/destination for system messages on switches to see what is going on on switches - there could be some undocumented bug. Probably nobody cant tell you anything without more/detailed info from you.

Or if you have still valid warranty you can open service request to Small Business Support Center (SBSC)

Hi Michal,

I have the same issue and setup a syslog server to capture those logs but there is nothing from the logs indicate what caused the reboot. My switches are SG220-50 running on 1.0.0.17 firmware.

Thanks,

KH

I have set syslog up on the switches and am receiving nothing at the time on crash.

One thing that always happens is the https service stops working a couple of days before then the switch will restart.

I have also noticed that we stopped monitoring the switches with SNMP for about 40 days and I diddnt have a single crash during that time. However I have setup monitoring again and the switches have started crashing again.

Then I am pretty sure that SNMP agent on that unit is causing that. It causes some kind of memory leak resulted into unavailability of WebGUI and then later causes whole unit to reboot.

Please see similar issues (but with logged crash message) on SG units:

yes, that's different unit, but very similar behavior. I think you are fighting with similar issue. I recommend you to report this as bug. Please mention them that when you stop SNMP monitoring, restarting issue will gone - which fully points to SNMP agent.

I've applied your suggestion (re: disabling SNMP services) on a SG220-50P switch as of yesterday. Currently have the device running on firmware 1.0.19. I'm crossing my fingers this is the fix, else I'm switching over my clients to Dell PowerConnects.

Like everyone else here, my SG220-50P switches randomly reboot without warning. A dedicated syslog server (Splunk) has recorded zero events or logs from the faulty switches. My Dell OpenManage Essentials server for collecting SNMP traps has also reported nothing from the SG220-50P.

It has been 4+ months and Cisco has yet to solve this ridiculous mystery. I'm led to believe the switches are faulty by design, meaning there is a hardware problem that cannot be solved with a firmware update. If the replacement units sent out by Cisco are also failing, this is extremely worrisome and voids my trust in Cisco products for good.

My SG220-50P rebooted itself without SNMP enabled.

17 days uptime, wahooo...

Out of interest, what phone systems are people using on these? im guessing everyone has IP phone systems.

My clients are using Yealink T46G (and other model numbers I can't remember) phones.

No phone system or IP phones; several PoE devices though. I didn't realise it, but spanning tree is enabled (I'm not a networking expert, so am not really sure if I need it though). The switch is pretty much in it's default state with various VLAN configurations added. Still on 1.0.0.18 firmware. 28 days uptime now, still only the one observed unexpected reboot.

Hi Dave,

Hope you are well.

Any updates regarding your issue ? keep rebooting?

Did you apply lastest firmware?

Thanks

Yvan

Hi Yvan,

Thanks for following up.

I moved from 1.0.0.18 to 1.1.1.2 and so far so good: System Uptime: 40 days(s), 10 hr(s), 59 min(s) and 55 sec(s)

This might be a new uptime record (due to periods without monitoring it is possible it had stayed up longer before).

As more months pass my confidence will increase that the issue's fixed; it's looking promising so far though.

Of course, now I've said that... ;)

Regards,

Dave

Ok thanks for your reply.

I am not a cisco expert but updating firmware keep all configuration ( I have  a basic one, only a DAG) ?

Thanks

Yvan

Mine's always managed to keep its config when a firmware update is done, but I always back the config up in case it doesn't...

All settings were intact after the upgrade.  AND NO goofy reboots multiple times a day on our 3 switches.  Seems that this updated firmware is the FIX for that.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X