Views
Helpful
Replies

SG220 Randomly Reboots

Ross Phillips
Level 1
Level 1

HI,

We have 3 SG220 switches which randomly reboot.

When monitoring these the HTTPS service will stop working then a few days later the switch will reboot itself.

Its on the latest version of code and from what I can see there hasn't been any updates for about a year.

Anyone else had this issue and does anyone know any fixes.

Thanks

Ross

52 Replies 52

wayfaring
Level 1
Level 1

Yes, have same issue here with a brand new SG220-50P on firmware 1.0.0.17 randomly rebooting since it was purchased.  One employee reports descriptions saved on the ports + port negotiate settings get cleared after the reboot but I can't confirm that aspect yet.  Nothing mentioned in the release notes for latest 1.0.0.18 about this problem so I havent updated.  Happen a few times over the course of a month. Also have an SG200-50P at the same office on the same lan, same power source which does not have the reboot problem and has been up for 200+ days vs 3 days for the SG220.   Working on collecting our network info to provide to Cisco support per their request.

Not sure 1.0.0.18 will help; UPS-powered SG220-50P with firmware 1.0.0.18 rebooted itself today for the first time that I've noticed (I hadn't been monitoring the uptime, until now...).

I see there's a 1.0.0.19 firmware out but this only lists one seemingly unrelated update, so that doesn't seem to explain it.

The only recent config change was a week or 2 ago to group 3 ports in a new VLAN for iSCSI traffic. As an aside, I "thought" I saved the final changes but when the switch came back up it had lost config on the last port I setup.

In case it helps identify a trend (perhaps related to hardware degradation) this switch was installed early December 2014.

We have also the same problem with SG220-50 ... We are running the firmware version 1.0.0.19.

Marek

After troubleshooting + diagnostics with Cisco tech support, it was decided to rma our switch.  So far so good on the replacement unit: System Uptime: 27 days(s), 19 hr(s), 25 min(s) and 19 sec(s)     

spoke too soon.  replacement SG220-50P shipped from Cisco rma also reboots now.  Twice in last ten minutes after a month of uptime -

System Uptime:     0 days(s), 0 hr(s), 6 min(s) and 59 sec(s)     
System Uptime:     0 days(s), 0 hr(s), 2 min(s) and 43 sec(s)    

other devices including an SG200-50P on same UPS remain on. 

I'm still having this issue. I cant work out the cause.

I have gone as far as turning as much off on the switches as I can, removing redundant cabling, disabling spanning tree.. Feel like I'm at an AA meeting.

"Hello I'm an SG220 and its been 8 days since my last reboot...."

Did turning off the spanning tree seem to help any? The Cisco tech helping me requested that i disable it. 

Seems to have... but there again it might be coincidence. I just dont know any more.

Thanks for the update, appreciated. Perhaps a pain-in-the-ass intermittent software rather than hardware fault then (or the same hardware fault present in multiple boxes...). My switch has not rebooted since my last post (>10 days uptime now; still on firmware 1.0.0.18 in hope of spotting a pattern, should there be one).

I have also received a replacement SG220-50 from cisco. The longest the original unit would seem to run was a week. I logged several reboots from the console output. The only thing logged was a kernel panic. There were no error messages before the panic The replacement unit ran for a week and 6 hours before rebooting. It has rebooted twice this morning. Just had an error (Unhandled kernel unaligned access[#1]:) logged to the console. It hasn't caused a panic/reboot yet.

problem persists on firmware 1.0.0.19

System Uptime:     0 days(s), 0 hr(s), 2 min(s) and 41 sec(s)

halesdc01
Level 1
Level 1

Same issue here, also with 3 switches from two different vendors. Have upgraded the firmware 17, 18 and 19 all with the same problem. Logs show nothing.

Also RMA'd two switches, sent in V01 and got V03. At least one of the new ones is doing the same thing.

Michal Bruncko
Level 4
Level 4

Hi guys

at least I can tell you there is an bug report CSCuy24876 already opened for this issue with following details:

Symptom:
SG220-50 switches are resetting.

Conditions:
SG220 is installed in a network. No known type of network traffic has been identified to trigger.

Workaround:
None.

it is with priority 2. currently six support cases are mapped to this big. so at least you know that TAC is aware.

ccitechpatrick
Level 1
Level 1

I have this same issue. Firmware is at 1.0.0.18. I had opened a ticket with support about a year ago but then it did not happen again and the ticket was closed. This has now started again. Switch seemingly randomly reboots. SNMP is disabled. and SYSLOG shows nothing. Interestingly enough, I also have a couple of SG200-8P switches in my network and both times the SG220-50P has rebooted it was immediately following a VLAN access port change on one of the SG200-8P switches. I have since disabled spanning tree on the 50P.