Views
Helpful
Replies

SG220 Randomly Reboots

Ross Phillips
Level 1
Level 1

HI,

We have 3 SG220 switches which randomly reboot.

When monitoring these the HTTPS service will stop working then a few days later the switch will reboot itself.

Its on the latest version of code and from what I can see there hasn't been any updates for about a year.

Anyone else had this issue and does anyone know any fixes.

Thanks

Ross

52 Replies 52

Marc Yaseen
Level 1
Level 1

I have the same problem with an SG220-50-K9 V01. The switch randomly reboot, but it seems to favor late afternoons. I just updated to firmware 1.0.0.19 though I am uncertain that is going to help. SNMP is disabled. The Syslog shows nothing. UPS powered.

My network is sensitive to outages. Every time the switch reboots my phone rings off the took. If anyone ever finds a solution, I would love to know. The switch is too expensive throw out.

Marc

Disabling spanning tree seems to have slowed the reboots from every few days to once every 30+ days. Yesterday I received an email from Cisco informing me there is a beta firmware version that will fix the issue. I'm waiting for them to send me a copy.

parkerdki
Level 1
Level 1

We have the same issue.  Issue from day one.  After a couple days of the initial purchase of more than one switch, this issue started.  I've RMA'd  one of the switches right off the start and the replacement started right away with this issue.  As of today I still fight with this reboot/reset issue.

mgatti001
Level 1
Level 1

We have been running firmware version 1.0.0.20_beta2 for 8 days without a panic/reboot. The firmware revision corrects a memory leak. 

How did you acquire this beta firmware?  I've called cisco and they are stating they don't have info on this (even after pushing them about a beta firmware as I can't afford any more reboots).  The only downloads are on the website I'm told.

They did verify that they are testing a beta version after pushing the issue, BUT can't release it to me.  Really?!  So we have to deal with network crashes multiple times a day with all of our CISCO crap.

It would appear that with Cisco you get what you pay for; no big buck service contract = no support, even if something is clearly broken. A real shame given this is supposed to be "affordable" kit.

I hadn't had reason to check my switch until I saw this update, but I see it rebooted again 50 days ago (fortunately unnoticed this time). I'd managed to see 73 days uptime previously before I forget to keep an eye on it.

I have to run my Cisco WiFi access points with beta firmware I managed to get when the devices were brand new and still in warranty (the newer production versions have not fixed the issue; they have all had poor performance with my very basic VLAN setup).

I'm not one to cut off my nose to spite my face, but I shall be seriously considering other vendors' kit as my network evolves; hey ho, such is life.

Hi Dave:, i apologize for your frustration, I'm the Cisco Community Manager for Small Business. Let me see if I can help. Please describe your issue as I'm not quite clear if it's the same issue on this discussion. 

Hi Glenn,

Thanks for taking the time to chip in.

Apologies for muddying the water; I've conflated 2 issues into a gripe that Cisco's Small Business devices don't seem to get the updates they should rolled into production firmware releases.

Issue 1 is that like many others here my SG220-50P switch decides to reboot without any log explaining what happened (this thread). I logged my issue here in the hope it would help convince Cisco engineering this is more than a one off issue effecting those who have had the patience to raise an official support case (I didn't try raising a case because I know support will waste hours of my time then do what they've done with other disgruntled users and ship me a new switch with the same problem!).

Issue 2 (unrelated to this thread) is that having managed to get a beta firmware release for my WAP 371 access points to fix a chronic traffic throughput issue when VLANs are used, it seems Cisco can't or won't release this fix in a production firmware version (the 2 production firmware versions I've tried have both regressed the fix; I haven't checked for a while as it's a pain to update everything only to have to revert back to a beta!).

So, not the best experience; but you can fix all of that, right? ;)

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Dave, Parkerdki, mgatti001, Ross, and eracicot1 

Thanks for the response here, and appreciate you sharing your experiences here in the community. I will try my best to get to the bottom of this as I do see it's impacting several of our customer base. I have and will continue to raise visibility of this reset issue with our engineering team until we get a response, so stay with me if you can.. in the meantime I'd like to understand someone devices configuration a little more, like:

• Switch segmentation? VLAN configuration? etc..

For those experiencing reset/reboots please contact the Cisco Small  Business Support Center according to your local contact resources and request the BETA Firmware that addresses this issue.

Thanks

Glenn

Thanks for the update Glenn.

Are you able to advise when a production version of the firmware will be available with the fix please?

Hi Dave:

No firm date on the release, but rest assure the Beta version will be fully supported in this particular case.

Thanks

Glenn

Hi Glenn,

I'm noticing a new version of the firmware 1.0.1.1 (released july-18-2016) which is not the same as the beta versioning 1.0.0.20beta..  And there are NO release notes to describe if this new firmware 1.0.1.1 resolves the random reboot issue. Would you please let us know the details of this new firmware.

Thank you

Hi Everybody,

I have the same issue. Fimware 1.0.1.1 not have released. My case is main switch in industries, it so serious very mcuh.

Thank you.

I called and requested the beta firmware and referenced this thread, but was told I'd have to wait for a release.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X