Views
Helpful
Replies

SG250 SNTP work only once

etihaenni
Level 1
Level 1

Dear all,

Maybe you face the same issue as me, here is the problem: I set some ntp servers on my switch with poll interval enable. After registering the different servers, it get the time correctly and show them as "up" and the next day, they are all "down" and it never get again the time. I try to ping the ntp server using the FQDN and it's ok. Here are the screenshots:

When I reboot the switch, it get the time correctly, but only once, and later it switch again to "down". At the time of the screenshot, ntp12 server was really down.

I try some other servers like *.ch.pool.ntp.org or with IP addresses, same issue.

sntp1.jpgsntp2.jpg

Thanks in advance for your answers

10 Replies 10

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- 1) Check logs or preferably use a syslog server for logging , check if you can find logs related to SNTP (problems) or not 2) Use latest firmware on the sg250    3) Check if no intermediate firewall blocking SNTP  , for example spin-up a linux vm for testing SNTP to the intended servers.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

etihaenni
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Marce,

Thank you for your quick answer. Here are my answers:

1) I'll do that and post the result

2) I have the 2.5.8.12 firmware running, but I had this issue with all the previous firmware.

3) sntp work correctly with all my other devices to these sntp servers: Syno NAS, router, WiFi AP, Win 10, Raspberry pi, ... Even an old SG200 switch. Only my two SG250 have this issue. And the gateway/dns config work correctly, the switch can ping the sntp server using it's FQDN.

And as mentioned in my first post: When I add the server to the list or when I reboot the switch, it can get the time from the sntp server. But since the next polling, it shows "down", and that forever until next reboot.

...1) I'll do that and post the result

If this and suggestions from other poster don't lead to anything , consider contacting Cisco  :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/web/tsd-cisco-small-business-support-center-contacts.html

Note also , that if other reply from user is implemented such as the fact  that the NTP service should be queried on a regular basis, then I would suspect to see that in the logs too (also check in these menus if  the poll interval period is configurable and or for instance can be shortened)

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

emilio_
Level 1
Level 1

1) Make sure you've selected Display Mode: Advanced

2) Delete the SNTP servers and add them back again making sure you've selected Poll interval: Enable

See screenshots attached.

etihaenni
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Emilio,

Thank you for your answer, here are mine:

1) I do that all the time. I use "time range" for some PoE devices and this feature is only available in "Advanced mode".

2) I did that many time and with different servers, using IP addresses or FQDN, always the same issues.

Etienne

etihaenni
Level 1
Level 1

Dear all,

I activate all log level in my switch, but didn't get any log about sntp. The poll interval is 1024 second (about 17 minutes) as mentioned in the Command Line Interface Reference Guide at page 231, but no sntp log after >25 min.

ntp1.jpgntp2.jpgntp3.jpg

Etienne

- Do you have the same problems when using traditional NTP ?

M.

etihaenni
Level 1
Level 1

Well, it's not possible to chose between NTP or SNTP on the SG250. But as I mentioned in one of my answers, all other devices in my network get the time correctly, using NTP or SNTP. Even an old SG200 switch.

Etienne

- Review this document as a (final) checklist if everything is setup correctly  : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/smb/switches/cisco-small-business-200-series-managed-switches/smb4978-setting-system-time-dynamically-from-a-sntp-server-for-200-3.html  or otherwise work with Cisco : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/web/tsd-cisco-small-business-support-center-contacts.html

M.

etihaenni
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Everything is setup correctly. Finally I add a local NTP server to my network and let my switches point to it. Doing like this work like a charm.

Regards,
Etienne

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X