Views
Helpful
Replies

SG300-10 Console Settings??

deca24
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I am trying to connect to the console of this SG300-10 using a Cisco console cable, but am not getting anywhere with an actual connection. I am using Putty with the settings of 9600-8-n-1-None-None. I have also tried with baud rate of 19200, but no difference. I cannot seem to get to the console of this switch. Is it possible that Cisco disabled the console port of this switch? I would like to configure the VLANs on the switch and find the GUI extremely confusing to use.

Thougthts? Suggestions?

Thank you!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi the blue console is unsupported. You need to use standard 9 pin serial

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

almoncad
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

The SG300-10 can take these baud rate values :

115200 (Default Baud Rate)

Try those values to see if your are able to logging to the console.

Let me know if it works!

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi, do you mean a blue Cisco console cable or the serial 9 pin that is like a cream color? The console is enabled by default

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

almoncad
Level 1
Level 1

Also, you can enable Telnet via GUI under Security > TCP/UDP Services and access CLI creating a telnet session using Putty.

deca24
Level 1
Level 1

So an update here.

I did try to use all of the baud rates listed above with no success. I did it two ways, one with a USB to serial adapter due to the laptop not having a serial port on it, and the other without the serial adapter. The way without the USB adapter has a serial port on the laptop port replicator.

I am using one of the Cisco blue console cables that come with almost every Cisco switch.

I was able to get into the switch via IP and enable SSH. Once that was done I was able to change some of the settings a little easier using the command line. However, It still does not resolve the issue of not being able to access it at all using the console cable.

For kicks, I even tried a different cable thinking one of them might be bad.

Thoughts?

Thank you again! !

Hi the blue console is unsupported. You need to use standard 9 pin serial

Standard 9 pin serial cable worked!

See what I get for working primarily with enterprise level equipment? LOL Didnt think about trying a standard serial cable...

Thank you for the help! !

Do you need a Straight Thru Console Cable or a Roll Over (Null Modem)?

Dennis3
Level 1
Level 1

I also have a problem with the console port i use the shipped grey consolecabel not any blue rollover or something. For my laptop i connect the console cabel with my usb to serial adapter and that shouldnt be in issue of course. But i cant connect through putty, hyperterminal or minicom. It just gives me some weird characters out and questionmarks. Everything is okay my settings are : 9600 baud rate, 8 databits no parity 1stopbits and also no flow control. I checked via ssh what the problem could be, and in the cli log it says: %AAA-W-REJECT: New console connection, source 0.0.0.0 destination 0.0.0.0 REJECTED

Hope any one can help me, i've already tried to reset it. But it still doesnt work.

I found using 15200 baud and no flow control solved my issues.

Yes. For me work also :)