Views
Helpful
Replies

SG300-10 - DHCP Static DOES **NOT** work - assigment using MAC

nicolas diogo
Level 1
Level 1

hello experts,

i am not an expert on Cisco Switches, so i am using the web-gui to setup my switch.

i have created an IP range for my network and also defined a different default VLAN - as i understand this to be 'best practice'.

my default VLAN:

i have removed all other VLANs until i have figured out how to set these static IPs.

and all ports are assigned with the above VLAN *only*.

so IP range is defined as:

192.168.11.0/24

this is the info as it appears on the web-gui:

vlan_199_ipServer

0d 0h 1m

i have set the renewal interval to 1 minute for debugging purposes. and i will change it once i have it working properly.

This switch is working as the DHCP server in the network - but no Static address seem to work.

Instead, the dynamic IPs are been used by the clients/pcs in this network.

Amongst the clients, there are Windows 8, Windows Vista, Ubuntu 12.04, Ubuntu 13.10, raspberry-pi raspebian,..

but there is no way that i can set any of then to a static IP.

i already entered their details and there is a list of static IPs with the following info:

IP

hostname

network mask

MAC address

and it is display on the web-gui as:

IP AddressHost NameNetwork MaskIdentifier TypeMAC Address/Client IdentifierClient Name
 192.168.11.40rpiDesk01255.255.255.255MAC Addressb8:27:eb:d8:82:b6

I am not certain if i have provided suffient information - please let me know if you need further clarification.

My problem - How do i make my Static IP to be used instead of the dynamic ones?

with regards,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

With these stupid cisco switches you have to first allow clients to recievs its ip via dhcp and then look at the bind table to see how it requested from the server, did it use a mac or client id.  Then depending on which it used create a static entry using the same.  Delete the bind entry and arp entry and then connect the client again.

I've complaining about this for over a year probably to no avail.  The switch should be smart enough to figure out one from the other, simple parsing and stripping the lead byte if a client id is provided by the client.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Nicolas, for this you need to specify the client identifier affixed to the MAC address.

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

thanks Tom,

could you please provide some example(s) of this

i never knew that.  so i have no idea what you are referring to.

many thanks,

i have red about this topic and i am surprised..

my under £20 router can do DHCP static assignments by collecting details from the dynamically defined IP.
and it even works with MAC addresses as identifiers.

back to my well priced Cisco L3 Switch:

i have a windows 8 system that receives a dynamic IP, and it is shown on the router's assigment tab as:
192.168.13.7     Client Identifier     01.44.8a.5b.2b.86.45     2014-Jan-13 10:49:03     Dynamic     Allocated

on the same tab there are the following entries (defined in the 'static hosts' tab)
192.168.13.42     MAC Address         b8:27:eb:5e:f2:d5     Infinite     Static     Allocated
192.168.13.82     Client Identifier     01.44.8a.5b.2b.86.45     Infinite     Static     Allocated

so there are entries for MAC and Client identifier.

i am sure the eagled eyed amongst you have spotted the value of:
Client Identifier     01.44.8a.5b.2b.86.45

that appears in the static and dynamic entries.

so why is my DHCP dynamic IP taking precedence over my Static IP for this system?
how can i correct it?

many thanks,

i have setup exclusion IPs and defined all Static IP to be within these exclusions.

and Cisco router still not able to assign static IPs.

and my home network has everything assigned with static IP from the DHCP server running on a DD-WRT router.

maybe Cisco could learn from DD-WRT.

any suggestions on how i can progress from here.

i am properly stuck.

I can confirm I am having the same problems. I have defined static hosts in a dhcp pool and the address's are not being assigned. This is basic DHCP functionality why is this failing ? 

Thanks,

Richie.

With these stupid cisco switches you have to first allow clients to recievs its ip via dhcp and then look at the bind table to see how it requested from the server, did it use a mac or client id.  Then depending on which it used create a static entry using the same.  Delete the bind entry and arp entry and then connect the client again.

I've complaining about this for over a year probably to no avail.  The switch should be smart enough to figure out one from the other, simple parsing and stripping the lead byte if a client id is provided by the client.

Thanks Viningele

As a non-expert in this field, I could not have said what you did.

What I can say is that it is insane that a Switch on this price range not to have a basic feature that is present on a home router that I can buy for less than £20.

Cisco has been dragging its hills on this and they will do nothing about it either.

Certainly, there will be a very well writen technical doc to explain that!

regards,

This issue still available in Cisco SG-300 DHCP server. first let the switch decide the option to use (Client identifier or MAC). then use that option to create static host binding. also do not type anything in to 'client name' field. in my test DHCP not worked when any value added in to client name.

regards,

Please rate this and mark as solution/answer, if this resolved your issue
Good luck
KB