Views
Helpful
Replies

SG300-10 slow boot speed

Tim5000Cisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have an SG300-10 and I would like to know how long it takes other members SG3000-10 takes to boot - mine currently takes well over 10 minutes before it can be pinged.

I'm sure when I got it, it only took 3-4 minutes, but I've not needed it recently so it's been packed away.

I have upgraded it to the very latest boot/firmware and still see the issue.

It has been factory reset and still has the issue.

Subsequent reboots still have the issue so it's not a one-time event after a reset.

Could someone with the same switch please verify their startup time for a reset/unconfigured switch as this seems to be unusual from what I've seen.

Thanks.

7 Replies 7

Tim5000Cisco
Level 1
Level 1
Nobody on here has an SG300-10? Nobody from Cisco willing to answer?

I agree. It is unacceptable to wait almost 10 minutes to boot up. It would be nice to see some response from the vendor.

Follow up sure would have been nice.  
I have a brand new SG200-20 and after updating the firmware and factory resetting  
Mine takes well over ten minutes to boot until any ports are available to use. 
I've had nothing but wierd strange problems (such as this one).  
Ever since we started using SG300 series switches at small office clients.  
Sg200 were always rock solid and no problems or issues.  
I've had nothing but issues with SG300 products starting with my very first one out of the box 
and it having a bug where you can't simply change the management IP address from the webui.   
And seeing that at least a year after it was reported... still not fixed.   
I think the latest firmware (May 2020) *may* have fixed it but I have not even got that far to test it yet.  
Right now I'm having a 10-15 minute boot issue even after factory defaulting it.   
Which is unacceptable.  

As the OP, I sold all my SG300 series on ages ago. Perhaps as a bigger corporate client I could have got better support but didn't get any satisfactory response to any of my messages here and with the odd quirky behaviour it wasn't worth the hassle.

Thank you so much for the reply!  
It's very much appreciated.  
I'm headed in the same direction.  
I've only tried to use a few of them and keep running into annoyances like this and others.  
This one was working fine for 5 hours then I simply tried a reboot and it pretty much died.   
It boots up and gets a solid light but no ports ever become available.  
Possibly bad hardware.  
This is "nearly a clean setup just added one VLAN after updating firm ware and factory defaulting it (after the new firmware).  
Worked fine until I tried to reboot it (after saving and testing).  
Factory defaulted it again and started testing with default settings.   
And here's where ten+ minute boots are happening.. with defaults loaded and power cycling done.
This might be the last sg300 attempt to deploy before I move to a different switch.

Hello Tim,

It usually takes up to 3-4 minutes for an SG300 switch to boot up. I would advise to contact STAC and open a case for that behaviour. If that turns out to e a hardware issue they may proceed with RMA.

Contacts:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/web/tsd-cisco-small-business-support-center-contacts.html

Regards,

Martin

@Cisco Support is there a solution for this behaviour yet? I'm experiancing the same. I have a SG300-28pp switch wich I upgraded the firmware from 1.3.5.58 to 1.4.11.5. The boot loader shows 1.3.5.06, which seems to be the right one.

Thanks for a reply.

With kind regards

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X