cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SG300-10 Tail Drop Issues

DAVE GENTON
Level 2
Level 2

Investigating a slow transmission issue at a site with 3 switches.   A 200 Series Switch and a C2960G hang off the SG300-10 which is currently running in layer 3 mode with qos enabled but not routing.   Currently no VoIP and all classification and marking has been disabled.  Doing a data transfer exceeding 50MBs I get approx 300 tail drops per each file transfer.  For testing I am using a 2GB file and sending from PC directly connected to SG300 on vlan 1 to a server hanging off the other switches.   So layer 2 switched, without any routing. If I send to a fast server where I exceed 50mbps the tail drops start rising fast.  If I send to a much slower device at approx 1/3 the speed no tail drops occur.   I have enabled qos, disabled qos, while enabled changed the queue values in each direction and in no way can I get the tail drops to go away yet the SG200-18 never drops a single packet, nor does the 2960G compact model, only this SG300.   I was going to leave qos disabled since currenlty not using markings but it changes nothing.  I have tried giving as much bandwidth to queue 1 as possible with no changes since default qos or "0" goes there.

I am also curious in that the default QoS give the highest bandwidth by default to queue 4 the highest priority queue and the smallest to queue 1.  this is backwards from what I am used to in the Enterprise IOS QoS VoIP world.  Do these operate differently or are the values just reversed by default for some reason ??    Need help as word is to replace this switch today for not keeping up yet its statistics on the data sheet show it should far exceed whats needed and what other devices can do at 20Gbps bandwidth throughput and 14.88mpps.  These are all 1500 byte frames, no jumbo, pretty generic, think of default switch with qos basic mode enabled, but then any tweaking and disabling of qos still sees packet tail drops between these devices at 50mbs.

4 Replies 4

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Dave, what software version are you running?

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Sorry, forgot to post that,

1.3.5.58 was recently installed a few weeks ago.  Seems as if performance has dropped since the prior

1.3.0.62 version.

If 1.3.0.62 had better performance then you upgraded and have worst performance, please factory reset that switch.

I've had some mishaps correct itself with just factory reset. It's almost like every time there's a major software release on these units they need to get erased.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Appears the tail drops are now gone yet performance is still high !   Hate the fact that this is the fix but none the less just wanted it fixed. Thanks for the input.  I went ahead and put back to layer 2 mode as well since no routing is needed but I will continue testing to see if tail drops return under certain configs or circumstances.  QoS is disabled but still first xfer I've had yet with zero drops on it.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X