Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SG300-10 VLAN Configuration

Hi Folks,

Before I launch into this can I say that I am very much a novice with regards to Managed Switches and their configuration and I hope someone out there can assist me.

I have the following equipment which I have connected to the switch:

1 x PLC Comms Card            IP:192.168.1.1    

1 x HMI                                IP:192.168.1.3  

1 x Bently Nevada Gateway   IP:192.168.1.10

All of the above are on subnet 255.255.255.0

All of the above communicate with each other during normal operation.

Our client is connecting to the switch but his requirement is for his system to "see" the PLC Comms Card as follows:

IP: 10.0.3.61 on Subnet 255.255.252.0 .

Using the Internet Explorer interface connection I have created an additional VLAN (ID 2) on Port 10 with the intention of using this as the connection to the client ( I assume there will be further settings required to route the PLC connection to this port) but every time I try to assign the IP and Subnet values and click "APPLY" the changes are not made and the connection appears to hang leading me to reboot the switch.

I have connected to the switch via console and changed the mode to Layer 3.  I also assume that it is OK for the three pieces of equipment to remain on the default VLAN.  

Would it be possible for someone here to "walk" me through how I should setup this VLAN and ultimately achieve my goal.

I would very much appreciate anyone's assistance on this.

Very best regards

Gavin Stewart            

5 Replies 5

rmanthey
Level 4
Level 4

Gavin,

You probably notice when you make VLAN 2 you can still access the switch, but when you assign an IP address to VLAN 2 you loose connectivity to the switch.You will also notice the system light goes from flashing to solid when you make this change.  The reason for this is the default IP of 192.168.1.254 will be over written for VLAN 1. The new management IP address will be the IP you assigned. The only way to manage the switch after this will be through console or on port 10 on with a computer on the subnet you programed.

Currently the PLC Comms Cards are on a 192 address, do they require two IP addresses? or just one? Can you provide a detailed topology?

thanks,

Cisco Small Business Support Center

Randy Manthey

CCNA, CCNA - Security

Hi Randy,

Thanks for your reply. The scenario you described is exactly what is happening although I dont seem to be able to get back on line to the switch with the IP address I assigned to VLAN2.  I wasnt aware that by assigning an IP address and subnet to VLAN2 I was also changing the management IP as well.

I can provide more detail for the system as follows:

Do I need to assign IP addresses and subnets to ports 1,2 & 3 as well as 10?

I need to route Port 1 (VLAN1) to Port 10 (VLAN2) as the client only wishes to connect to the Siemens PLC.

Thanks

Gavin

Gavin,

I would do the following:

From factory default

Console in:

enable

set system mode router (factory resets switch)

reboots...

loging again

enable

config t

int vlan 1

ip address 192.168.1.253 255.255.255.0 (what ever IP you want for the switch will be default gateway for that subnet)

no shut

int vlan 2

ip address 10.0.3.253 255.255.252.0 (what ever IP you want for the switch will be default gateway for that subnet)

no shut

int gi10

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 10

exit

copy run start

Just remember you will need to set the default gateway for both subnets to be the IP address of the individual vlan IP of the switch.

Hope this helps,

Randy Manthey

CCNA, CCNA - Security

Hi again Randy,

Thanks for your reply however I am a bit lost as to what I need to do. I assume that the whole config will be done via the console. Do I type in what you have given me above (less the text within brackets)? I havent used the console for this before.

Also does the info about deal with routing Port 1 (VLAN1) to Port 10 (VLAN2) so the client will see the switch at the correct IP & Subnet. Many apologies for this but I think I need further guidance.

Gavin

Well you can use the console or turn on telnet or SSH from the GUI, or you can just use the settings I gave you and make the changes through the GUI. It is just easier to type the CLI commands then try to walk through the Webgui on the support forums.

Well the only way VLAN 1 will be able to talk to VLAN 2 will be through intervlan routing. Devices on both subnets would need to have their default gateway set to the switch. The switch would know how to get to the other subnet. You might also need to set a default gateway on the switch for your edge router or the device that connects to the internet.

hope this helps,

Randy Manthey

CCNA, CCNA - Security