Views
Helpful
Replies

SG300-28 issues - InterVLAN routing

fearless.rabbit
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

I am trying to get SG300-28 switch up and running for several days, with quite simple configuration, but this device is just to stuborn in giving me headaches. Hopefully you`ll point me to a solution to my problem.

So, I configured VLANs on the switch, assigned all ports, given IP addresses to VLANs, etc. But I am not moving away from testing phase where I try pinging two stations from different VLANs.

I have pictures of the current config attached. Stations are on ports 4 (VLAN4) and port 15 (VLAN3). First station has proper 192.168.30.x address with default gateway of 192.168.30.1. Second station has address of 192.168.5.x and gateway of 192.168.5.1. Both stations can ping both gateways, but not eachother. Traffic inside one VLAN is working fine, so routing is the most obvious problem.

There are no ACLs active.

Please see attached pictures and give me something to try, because I spent three days experimenting without luck!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Alejandro Gallego
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

One of the biggest mistakes I see is relying on "ping" to see if things are working. Remember that "ping" sends an echo request, which does not force the receiving client to send and echo reply. Make sure that the stations are configured to respond to pings or try to access a share or some service configured on the clients. Another thing to concider, make the client ports access ports and not general, this may be a problem but it should be ok as is.

On a side note, the current configuration will not allow you to access anything out in the cloud. If you need cloud access do not forget to add a default route on the switch.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Alejandro Gallego
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

One of the biggest mistakes I see is relying on "ping" to see if things are working. Remember that "ping" sends an echo request, which does not force the receiving client to send and echo reply. Make sure that the stations are configured to respond to pings or try to access a share or some service configured on the clients. Another thing to concider, make the client ports access ports and not general, this may be a problem but it should be ok as is.

On a side note, the current configuration will not allow you to access anything out in the cloud. If you need cloud access do not forget to add a default route on the switch.

Hope this helps!

Thank you for your responce Alejandro!

I am using same two stations from testing traffic inside one VLAN. They have local firewalls turned off, and pings passed through until I moved them to separate VLANs.

I am aware of default route. Believe it or not, I removed it in moment of despare, thinking that it maybe "confuses" the switch somehow.. So I decided to only leave Local routes until I solve the problem.

I`ll try changing ports to Access instead of General, and report here if it helped!

fearless.rabbit
Level 1
Level 1

Problem was solved once all ports have been switched to Access instead of General. Hopefully this will help anyone encountering same issue.

I am still having hard time making DNS forwarding to work, but luckily our edge router is 1941, which does this perfectly.

fearless.rabbit
Level 1
Level 1

And yes, we should not always rely on ping as way of testing !