cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

sg300-28P dhcp server not using expired address

ifradsham
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I am working on an SG300-28P that is doing dhcp for a vlan.  The network pool is showing the number of leased addresses is equal to the size of the DHCP scope in the settings.  But when I look at the address bindings, there are plenty of leases showing as in the expired state.  New devices aren't able to get any ip addresses on the network.  I had to manually delete the addresses from the address binding table. 

I am missing something here?  Shouldn't IP addresses showing as expired be available for assignment to a new device attaching to the network? Or is there some sort of grace period after an address lease is expired before it can be handed out again by the DHCP server and, if so, what is that grace period?

As an FYI, I am running the latest firmware 1.3.7.18.

17 Replies 17

Wouldn't that be easier for you?  I've already waisted enough time dealing with these switches and their funky bugs.  For no one from Cisco who monitors these forums to at least test to confirm or deny this issue which is a very basic requirement of a switch is just laziness.

Just like the issue of using a client id instead of a mac to create a static bind and the solution we get from Cisco is, well just connect the device first and see how it responds, if it uses a mac then use a mac but if it uses a client id then do the same.  Every switch should be able to do either and either prepend or remove the leading byte or just ignore it in their string comparisons to see if a dhcp request matches an entry in the static bind table.  Does SMB get the engineers straight out of bootcamp.?

For the "expired" entry, if the pool are full, new host would use those old IPs; if the pool is not full, new host would use next new IPs available.

If the client can not get ip, then need to troubleshoot, or raise a case for that. 

I have an SG300 28 ports and I face the same issue. The DHCP is full, expired bindings are not reused and the clients don't get IPs. BIOS version 1.4.8.6.

Any ideas?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X