cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SG300-28P Firmware upgrade error -

Parth Maniar
Level 1
Level 1

Greeting's I downloaded Sx300_FW_Boot_1.4.0.88 firmware upgrade for SG300-28P switch. The MD5 checksum of the file matches as listed on Cisco, However when I am uploading the firmware (.ros file) to the switch I get error message:

Bytes Transferred: 7011840

Error Message: Copy: SW code file is over sized

Anyone else having the same problem? Any workarounds? 

Thank You!

Parth.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

I like to suggest to upgrade the bootloader file(sx300_boot-13506.rfb) first before attempting the firmware. Bootloader can be found on the same zip folder as the firmware.you can use TFTP server to upgrade the boot loader.

Cisco SG300 WEB interface > Administration>File Managment> TFTP .... when you select TFTP the radio button for the "BOOT" fw is now available. Just type in the name of the file and it should load the boot firmware.

regards

Moorthy

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

V K Moorthy
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

You need to carry out an interim firmware upgrade to the previous version. Then upgrade to 1.4.X.X. The switch flash file system was changed in 1.3.7.18

regards

Moorthy

Thank You, Moorthy. Pardon me for not mentioning this detain in the initial post. The switch however is running 1.3.7.18 currently. It is the active image.

Regards,

Parth

Hi,

I like to suggest to upgrade the bootloader file(sx300_boot-13506.rfb) first before attempting the firmware. Bootloader can be found on the same zip folder as the firmware.you can use TFTP server to upgrade the boot loader.

Cisco SG300 WEB interface > Administration>File Managment> TFTP .... when you select TFTP the radio button for the "BOOT" fw is now available. Just type in the name of the file and it should load the boot firmware.

regards

Moorthy

Brandon Svec
Level 7
Level 7

You need upgrade bootrom to be able to go past 1.3.7.18.  When going to 1.3.7.18 it is recommended in release notes to do this for this reason. 

-- please remember to rate and mark answered helpful posts --

Brandon Svec
Level 7
Level 7

For reference here are the relevant notes:

Change in Flash file system

In versions 1.3.5 and later, the Flash file system has been upgraded. This has

implications when upgrading from previous releases to version 1.3.5, and

when downgrading from 1.3.5 or later to previous versions as described

below.

Upgrading from previous releases

During the first bootup of the new version, the flash file system is upgraded. Note

that:

This process takes a few minutes. “…” progress in the Console will be

displayed during this process (not relevant to Sx200).

The syslog file is deleted during this process.

The original image file is deleted. The two images on the Flash after the

upgrade will have the same version.

NOTE Before upgrading to version 1.3.5 and later, the boot loader also needs to be

updated.

If version 1.3.5 or later is installed using the original boot loader, the file system will

not be upgraded, and in the future the user will not be allowed to upgrade to

versions higher than 1.3.5.

-- please remember to rate and mark answered helpful posts --
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X