cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SG300-52 (VID-V02) firmware upgrade problem to 1.4.8.6

Jet
Level 1
Level 1

I can't upgrade my SG300-52 (VID-V02) to version 1.4.8.6. Current firmware/boot is 1.4.7.6/1.3.5.06. I was able to successfully transfer the 1.4.8.6 firmware image to the device and checking on the Firmware Version (Non-active) in the System Summary right after the transfer shows 1.4.8.6 version. However, as soon as I reboot the device without yet setting the active image to the new image, the Firmware Version (Non-active) info would now show 'not available'. I have attached screenshots showing the problem. I hope someone could point me to the right direction here. Thank you.

4 Replies 4

santsha3
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Jet,

Thank you for writing to the Support Forum.

I recommend you to save the configuration before rebooting the switch, after selecting the latest firmware as active image. I hope you would be able to see the latest firmware as active imgae after saving the configuration.

hi santsha3, i tried re-uploading the 1.4.8.6 firmware and doing a save of the running config to the startup config before rebooting. unfortunately, the non-active firmware still shows 'not available' after the reboot. hope you could help me further with this. thank you.

I was hoping someone else can help me with this. This one still remains unresolved.

I administer a network of approximately fifty SG300 series switches, and recently upgraded the firmware on all my switches from 1.4.7.6 to 1.4.8.6. I had a similar problem -- but not exactly the same problem -- as the original poster described. Because I have a large network of diverse SG300 series models, and because I can reliably repeat the problem I describe below, I believe there is a flaw with firmware version 1.4.8.6, and I will file a bug report with Cisco.

Prior to the upgrade, all of my switches were running firmware version 1.4.7.6. I used both MD5 and SHA1 to verify that the 1.4.8.6 image I downloaded from Cisco's site arrived in-tact. The process of transferring the updated firmware image (1.4.8.6) to all fifty of my switches reported no errors. After uploading the new image, I marked the firmware slot containing version 1.4.8.6 to be active on next boot, and then rebooted the switches. All switches successfully booted to version 1.4.8.6; I know this because I immediately SSHed to each switch after the upgrade completed and ran "show version".

However, within one week of the firmware upgrade from version 1.4.7.6 to version 1.4.8.6, some of the switches stopped responding to all IP services -- SSH, ping, logging, SNMP, etc. were completely unresponsive, but in most cases the switches would still forward user traffic according to the running configuration. Even the physical serial console on these "crashed" switches were completely unresponsive. Power cycling the affected switches was the only fix, but several of the switches again became unresponsive a few days later. After twelve of the SG300 series switches on my network became affected by this issue, I decided to move all of them back over to the version we were previously running, which was version 1.4.7.6. This is where it got interesting...

On three of the affected switches, I monitored the boot process using the serial console. After a power cycle, version 1.4.8.6 would boot without reporting or showing any errors or anomalies at all. I would then mark the firmware slot containing version 1.4.7.6 to be active on next boot, and then reboot the switch using the "reload" command. Upon boot of the old firmware version, I would always get the following error message (even on switches that had not crashed):

Size        115 of passive image exceeds the maximum supported size        114.
The passive image is deleted...............

In other words, the "passive image" (the image slot containing version 1.4.8.6) was corrupt because it was one byte/block/whatever too large. The old version of the firmware would detect this, and then delete the slot containing firmware version 1.4.8.6. Running "show bootvar" after this took place showed the slot that had previously contained 1.4.8.6 to now contain "N/A".

Because the original poster essentially witnessed the same behavior via the web interface -- they were running 1.4.7.6, then copied 1.4.8.6 to the passive firmware slot on the switch, then rebooted the switch (without setting the slot containing the new version to be active on reboot), then noticed the passive slot to be empty ("N/A") after reboot -- I am assuming that we are in a similar boat here. My solution to this issue was to treat version 1.4.8.6 as flawed, and revert back to running version 1.4.7.6 on all of my switches. Since I have done this, none of my switches have become unresponsive.

Note that this issue affected twelve of my fifty switches within a 10-day window. It affected several models (SG300-10, SG300-10MPP, SG300-10SFP, SG300-28MP) and several hardware revision numbers (V02, V03, and V05, but V02 and V05 seemed particularly susceptible). I plan to submit a bug report to Cisco, including a step-by-step procedure on everything I did that led up to my conclusion that 1.4.8.6 is  flawed.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X