cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Announcements

CISCO SWITCHES FOR SMALL and MEDIUM BUSINESS

Introducing the next generation of Cisco Small and Medium Business Switches. Cisco is refreshing its SMB Switch portfolio. Click here  to learn more.

Views
Helpful
Replies
Highlighted
Beginner

SG300 Multicast Setup and Options

I'm using Windows Server 2012 R2 WDS to deploy an install image using multicast. I have a single host connected to a SG300-10 and 6 client machines connected to the switch as well. So far this is what I've done.

• Enabled "Bridge Multicast Filtering" set set it to "MAC Group Address" for both IPv4 and IPv6
  • Enabled IGMP Snooping
  • Enabled IGMP Querier for IGMPv3
  • Enabled Immediate Leave for Querier
  • The switch is running in Layer 2 mode

However, after setting all this up, my multicast is working but very slow. I understand this is a common issue with multicast. I verified that I'm getting a large number of NACK responses (10-30 per second). I've tried multicasting a single client and it seems to work fine. I did find the transfer speed to cap out at around 200mb/s even though i'm using an SSD and a gigabit ethernet adapter. But I wasn't getting any NACK responses. Once I add more clients though, the NACKs are bad and my speed drops from 200mb/s to less than 90mb/s.

At this point I don't know what's causing that and what I can do to help fix it. Here are some questions I have.

1. Are there performance differences between IPv4 multicast and IPv6 multicast?
  2. What is the difference between Forwarding Method being set to MAC Group Address and IP Group Address
  3. Do I need to specifically set a Multicast Router Port?
  4. Does having my router in Layer 2 vs Layer 3 mode make a difference in my multicast performance?

Firmware Version: 1.3.7.18

Boot Version: 1.0.0.4

Language Version 1.3.7.18

Everyone's tags (3)