Views
Helpful
Replies

SG300 PoE-short counters

Helmeczi Zoltan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

We have ip cameras on a SG300-28PP switch, and one camera sometimes stop to working for a random amount of time (1/2day-2day).

After, something happens and this camera starts and working fine for a while. On the corresponding switch port i see short counters in PoE statistics.

SW3#sh power inline gi3

Port      Powered Device         State          Status    Priority   Class
-------- -------------------- ---------------- ------------ -------- ---------
  gi3                               Auto            On      critical  class3

Time range:
Power limit: 30.0  W
Inrush Test: Enable

Port Status:               Port is on - valid capacitor/resistor detected
Overload Counter:          0
Short Counter:             52 
Denied Counter:            0
Absent Counter:            0
Invalid Signature Counter: 0

SW3#

Can you give me detailed explanation about short counters?

e.g.: What can cause this counter incrementation? or it is a switch related problem or can cause the cabling or the connected device?

Thanks,

Zoltan

20 Replies 20

Well, I will be sure to test this setting too.

And on next week we replace the faulty camera with a new one, and i will test with the faulty one and an another sg300 in lab environment.

And debug the negotiation phase with a C2960 for example to see what the camera does, why it ask class3 or why switch give class3 for this device.

I will post the results if i find something intresting or maybe the causes and solution.

Till then, thanks you for your useful help.

(Another question: Where should i ask manual or information about the SG300 debug-mode?)

As far as I know, there's no debug-mode documentation available to public. Only Cisco know, there's a documentation of such mode at all ...

Short counters monitors the number of power shortages encountered on the powered ports.

Glenn thank you for the response. But please allow me to rephrase your response to verify I understand it in full. I'm in doubt what events are considered "power shortage".

If a power request from a newly connected port can't be satisfied because of overall power budged exhausted, a power may be removed from already powered less critical device (if there's any) to satisfy the request from more critical device. The
short counter" is incremented in such case.

True ?

Is it possible the power will be removed from device with the same priority ? E.g. from critical device because of request from other critical device ?

Hi Dan,

True, you pretty much got it. It could be, however, you typically won't have all ports priority levels set to "CRITICAL", so it would compensate on the Low level ports. 

With no doubt. But it may happen, thus the question is still here:

Is it possible the power will be removed from device with the same priority ? E.g. from critical device because of request from other critical device ?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X