cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SG300 problem creating VLAN

Kristin Paget
Level 1
Level 1

(reposting from Network Infrastructure/LAN, Switching and Routing)

I have an SG300-28PP switch connected to an Aironet 2600 AP.  The AP is advertising 5 SSIDs that it maps into 4 separate VLANs, which then connect to a port on the switch configured as a Trunk, with the same VLANs.  I have a firewall connected to the switch which is also configured to trunk the same VLANs, so I can advertise multiple networks at the AP and then split / ACL the traffic at the firewall.

I recently tried to add a new network to this setup, configured as VLAN50 on both the AP and the firewall.  For some reason though, I am unable to add this new VLAN to either of the trunk ports.  Under "VLAN settings" the new VLAN ID is showing as "Disabled" no matter what I do, and as such I can't add it to any of the trunks.

Reading around I saw some mention that you can't enable a new VLAN until the SG300 sees traffic on that VLAN.  If that's true, what does that actually mean?  I can cause tagged packets to be sent from either the AP or the firewall, and I've even tried creating a VLAN50 access port and connecting a workstation to that - still no dice.

What do I need to do in order to enable my new VLAN and add it to the trunk ports?

1 Reply 1

Michal Bruncko
Level 4
Level 4

hello

my understanding is, that VLAN will transfer to enabled state if both following conditions are met:

• VLAN is assigned to at least one physical interface (in WebGUI for example using "Port to VLAN" form)
  • physical interface transits to UP link state