cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SG300 problem creating VLAN

Kristin Paget
Level 1
Level 1

(reposting from Network Infrastructure/LAN, Switching and Routing)

I have an SG300-28PP switch connected to an Aironet 2600 AP.  The AP is advertising 5 SSIDs that it maps into 4 separate VLANs, which then connect to a port on the switch configured as a Trunk, with the same VLANs.  I have a firewall connected to the switch which is also configured to trunk the same VLANs, so I can advertise multiple networks at the AP and then split / ACL the traffic at the firewall.

I recently tried to add a new network to this setup, configured as VLAN50 on both the AP and the firewall.  For some reason though, I am unable to add this new VLAN to either of the trunk ports.  Under "VLAN settings" the new VLAN ID is showing as "Disabled" no matter what I do, and as such I can't add it to any of the trunks.

Reading around I saw some mention that you can't enable a new VLAN until the SG300 sees traffic on that VLAN.  If that's true, what does that actually mean?  I can cause tagged packets to be sent from either the AP or the firewall, and I've even tried creating a VLAN50 access port and connecting a workstation to that - still no dice.

What do I need to do in order to enable my new VLAN and add it to the trunk ports?

1 Reply 1

Michal Bruncko
Level 4
Level 4

hello

my understanding is, that VLAN will transfer to enabled state if both following conditions are met:

• VLAN is assigned to at least one physical interface (in WebGUI for example using "Port to VLAN" form)
  • physical interface transits to UP link state 
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X