cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SG300 - Separating network using vlan?

Brian-SG300
Level 1
Level 1

I am wondering what the best way to separate a network, both data, on a cisco SG300. I do not want network 1 to able to communicate with network 2 or vice versa.  I have one server for DHCP for network 1, 192.168.1.X. I would like network 2 to have ip of 10.0.0.X, can the cisco SG300 do dhcp for this vlan?

Thank you for your help,

Brian

1 Reply 1

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello Brian, the SX300 series do not support any DHCP service, you will need a router or a DHCP box for this. The SX300 can separate traffic with VLAN. However, as the default layer 2, all request will go to your router then route to the destinations. As the switch in layer 3 mode, you may have local connectivity, however, if your router does not support the vlans or dot1q encapsulation, the router would require static routes for those subnets to be able to correctly route to the internet.

-Tom
Please rate helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X