Views
Helpful
Replies

SG300 series and CDP

canadianicon25
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I noticed that the SG300 series of switches do not support CDP.  However, will these switches pass CDP packets onto an upstream device?

Thanks

6 Replies 6

David Carr
Level 6
Level 6

Canadianicon25,

At the moment they will not pass the cdp packets.

There will be a firmware release soon that enables cdp and textview cli for these switches.

As a work around you can utilize lldp to push a vlan and qos to devices in your network.

without passing CDP packets how would IP phones communicate with the UC320 for registration and VLAN information in this scenario?

UC320 ---------SG300 switch---------SPA IP phone

any idea more specifically when the firmware update will become available?

The UC320 does not depend on CDP, the end device is a SIP registered device

The swicth will work without the firmware upgrade in the scenario you described

I hope this helps

According to the UC320 documentation (pg. 17 of the design guide) if using a switch with the 320 it must allow CDP packets to pass through.  I believe the 320 is using CDP for delivering VLAN information to the phones as well as autodiscovery of the 320 ( which cannot be disabled) and for registation of the IP phone with the 320.

If anyone knows where I could find more information about when the firmware update is supposed to be released that would be most appreciated!

Hi canadianicon25,

As David has pointed out, there should be a firmware release that will enable CDP on the SG300 series in the very near future, however, you can still use the SG300 series switches with a UC320W.  Please follow the setup guide found on the following link to setup your SG300 switch for use in UC320W environment.  Partner login is required to view the document.

http://tools.cisco.com/s2slv2/ViewDocument?docName=EXT-AS-370390

Cheers,

Julio

The firmware supporting CDP, CLI, Smartports, and numerous other features has now been released. You can find the details here:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-17092

Ivor

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X