Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SG300/SG500 remove interface vlan

Hello!

The issue is following:

I add an vlan interface for testing IP connectivity in this vlan by adding an IP to this vlan interface and ping an host.

eg
interface vlan 5
ip address 192.168.0.251 255.255.255.0

Afterwards i can remove the ip address with "no ip address", but I can't remove the "interface vlan 5".

Even when i delete the vlan itself from the vlan database. There is no "no interface vlan" command. I only can shutdown the vlan interface.

So does anybody know, how to remove vlan interfaces from the cli of SG300/SG500 switches.

Thanks, Woeger

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

chrebert
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

I just attempted this with my lab switch here.

I created VLAN 10 and gave it an IP address.

Then I did a no ip address on the VLAN interface, and then a no vlan 10.

At this point there is no interface VLAN 10 listed in my running config or when I do a show ip interface.

So removing the VLAN did actually delete the interface for me, which brings me to my question.

Which version of the firmware/bootcode are you currently using?  It may be that this has been fixed, because I am currently running 1.3.7.18 firmware with 1.3.7.01 bootcode.

If you are on a lower one go ahead and upgrade it, remember to upgrade the bootcode as well, it is required for the newer firmware versions.

Hope that helps, but if not just let me know and we can take another look,

Christopher Ebert - Advanced Network Support Engineer

Cisco Small Business Support Center

*please rate helpful posts*

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

According to the CLI guide you can use "no vlan <range>" to delete a VLAN, where <range> can be a single number or multiple VLANs separated by commas and hyphens.

The CLI guide can be found here: http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/csbms/Sx500/cli_guide/CLI_500.pdf

Hello Christopher!

That deletes the VLAN itself, but not the interface!

Regards,

WOEGER

I believe every VLAN has to have an interface, regardless of whether or not it has an IP address associated with it.  That's how you configure certain properties of of the VLAN itself.

You also mentioned shutting down the VLAN interface (assuming you meant "interface vlan 5", "shutdown").  Shutting down the VLAN interface disables the entire VLAN.

Hello Christopher!

No, thats not true. You can use VLAN's without an VLAN-Interface. Only if you need Layer3-Features you configure a VLAN-Interface.

So the VLAN (on layer 2) works, even when i shutdown the Layer3 VLAN-Interface.

As I wrote, you can also remove the entire VLAN with "no vlan <VLAN ID>".
The only problem is to remove the corresponding Layer3 VLAN-Interface, which still stays in the config even when I delete the Layer 2 VLAN.

BR,

WOEGER

chrebert
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

I just attempted this with my lab switch here.

I created VLAN 10 and gave it an IP address.

Then I did a no ip address on the VLAN interface, and then a no vlan 10.

At this point there is no interface VLAN 10 listed in my running config or when I do a show ip interface.

So removing the VLAN did actually delete the interface for me, which brings me to my question.

Which version of the firmware/bootcode are you currently using?  It may be that this has been fixed, because I am currently running 1.3.7.18 firmware with 1.3.7.01 bootcode.

If you are on a lower one go ahead and upgrade it, remember to upgrade the bootcode as well, it is required for the newer firmware versions.

Hope that helps, but if not just let me know and we can take another look,

Christopher Ebert - Advanced Network Support Engineer

Cisco Small Business Support Center

*please rate helpful posts*

Hello Christopher!

Same firmware on my switches.

I figured out the cause of the issue:

When I removed the vlan from the VLAN-DB with "no vlan xxx" , there was still a "shutdown" in the interface vlan configuration. So the interface was not removed from the config. As soon as I removed the shutdown command from the interface vlan configuration, the interface vlan was gone from the config.

But this kind of removal of the interface vlan only works, if you remove the corresponding vlan from the VLAN-DB. If you need the vlan I see no way to remove the interface vlan. Workaround could be to remove the vlan from the DB so that the interface will be also removed and create the vlan again. But this will also remove the ports from this vlan.

Fortunately we have a CLI where portconfigs can easily be saved by copy and reapplied with paste :-)

BR,

Christian

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X