cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SG300 vs. SG350 switches, what's the difference??

tommls
Level 1
Level 1

We have a few several-years-old Cisco Series 300 series switches, 100Mb Ethernet PoE, that we are looking at replacing.

One 48-port switch and four 24-port switches.

What is the difference between the SG300 and the SG350 series -- besides price??

I'm sure the 300 series will do well enough for us but I should educate myself.

What is the difference between SF300 and SG300 switches??

How do I determine whether I need the 180 or 375 watt model of the 300-series switches??

We are looking for GbE switches with PoE+ ports.

Can our existing Series 300 switch configurations be imported into either of these newer model switches??

Thank you, Tom

11 Replies 11

ktonev
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Tom,

My name is Kristian and I am one of the engineers from the Small Business team.

This topic covers some of the differences between the 300 and 350 series.

The difference between SF and SG series is the fact that SF switches have 100Mb ports, while SG switches have 1Gbps ports.

Regarding your question regarding PoE budget (watts) - it depends on your specific network needs for PoE. If you have a lot of VoIP phones and Access Points which are being powered by PoE you may need the 180 or 375 watt model, or if you have no PoE devices whatsoever you can use the regular models without PoE. The exact watts should be calculated based on the power requirements of your devices (you can refer to their datasheets for exact Watts requirement or PoE standard)

Unfortunately, you won't be able to import your configuration from the 300 series to 350 series as they are different platforms.

If you have other questions please let me know.

Hope that helps!

Kris

Hello, thank you for replying.

Our PoE phones are about 5-some watts of power apiece so the 180 watt SG switches should do what we need if they are reasonably priced.

Now I need to look up and figure out which model to consider.

Thank you, Tom

ktonev
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Tom,

In this case you will be able to use around 36 phones with 180W SG switch although I will recommend using a bit less on 1 switch to prevent any possible issues as you want to stay below the maximum PoE budget of the switch and allow for some fluctuations in power.

If you need any additional assistance with choosing the right model please let us know and we will be able to assist you here or you can also give us a call.

Kris

If you find these answers helpful, please rate them so other users can benefit from them as well.

We have only about 50 phones in the building where the SG-350s would be installed and not all the phones are on the same switch. I can however make sure we don't have more than 35 phones on the 24-port switch.

We presently have old 100M PoE SG-300s and all the phones work fine.

The SG-350 is an upgrade for us, we will repurpose the older switches elsewhere.

Thank you, Tom

Good day Kristian!

I'm strongly looking for Cisco SMB switch with PoE PD possibility like SG250-10P-K9-EU or SG350-10P-K9-EU, but PSE isn't need here.
SG350-10-K9-EU can support PD opportunity?
Some also? Ideally, we need 8xFE and 2xGE Combo L2 managed switch, like ES3500-8PD.

thx.

Serhii

Dear Cisco Support,

I was wondering if there is any real information about the differences about both models, especially regarding the compatibility of SG300 to SG350. The link that Kristian supplied in the reply above was to a thread where noone from cisco themselves participated, and only assumptions were made.

In my company we have about 150x SG300-28 and are about to lifecycle the switch for the next generation. Unfortunately, this will not be a complete replacement at one time, so they'll have to coexist for a while.

Saying that, I'm asking because of the bad experience I have made with using SG300-28 together with SG550X-8F8T. Sometimes not even LACP LAGs are possible to achive without restarting the whole switch. And sometimes even then it's not working. (SFP connections between both switches with 1G cisco SFP on both sides).

Is there any knowledge to this aspect? It seems to be obvious that the old SG300 firmware was completely changed to the tesla-firmware, so this might be one cause of problem between the two series x00 and x50.

Best regards,

Michael

I’m running an SG350-10 next to an SG300-28 in my lab with no issues. I have not yet tested LACP between them though.

izzyfanto
Level 1
Level 1

@tommls wrote:

We have a few several-years-old Cisco Series 300 series switches, 100Mb Ethernet PoE, that we are looking at replacing.

One 48-port switch and four 24-port switches.

What is the difference between the SG300 and the SG350 series -- besides price??

I'm sure the 300 series will do well enough for us but I should educate myself.

What is the difference between SF300 and SG300 switches??

How do I determine whether I need the 180 or 375 watt model of the 300-series switches??

We are looking for GbE switches with PoE+ ports.

Can our existing Series 300 switch configurations be imported into either of these newer model switches??

Thank you, Tom

The 350's support stacking, while the 300's don't

hi , my customer have old model sg-300 now need to change to sg-350, cant find any sfp for 100mb

is it possible to get a 100mb sfp for this?

regards

thomas

As far as I’m aware they don’t exist. Why do you need one? The SG300 series has 1000Mbps SFP ports. 

that's not completely wrong, but very unspecific. The 350X support stacking, not the 350 Series. Apart from that the SG350 seems to be the follo-up model to the SG300 with different firmware built and hardware.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X