cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Announcements

CISCO SWITCHES FOR SMALL and MEDIUM BUSINESS

Introducing the next generation of Cisco Small and Medium Business Switches. Cisco is refreshing its SMB Switch portfolio. Click here  to learn more.

Views
Helpful
Replies
Highlighted
Beginner

SG500-52 Password Reset

I have a Cisco SG500-52 (not PoE) switch stacked (2 switches total).

The password has been forgotten for the switch.  I have repeatedly attempted to access this switch via the console but I am not getting anything appear in the console window.

I powered of the secondary switch, connected my serial cable to the master switch with the correct settings (115200 baud etc) and then powered cycled the master switch.  I am getting nothing but a black screen.

I tested the cable connecting to another device and it worked instantly.  I cannot get into the switch at all.

Interestingly I have another SG500-52 switch in another location, I tried to console into that also and had the same results.

Any ideas?

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Beginner

Hello Simon Clewlow,Thank you

Hello Simon Clewlow,

Thank you for using the Cisco Small Business forums. My name is Cristian, I am an eContent developer and I am part of the Small Business Support Community. Unfortunately I believe the only way to get into the switch if the password has been loss is a hard reset. This can be done by pressing the reset button for 15-20 second.

I have found a few documents on the Cisco Knowledge Base that may help you with your concerns. 

How to save your configuration. 

Password strength. 

I hope you will find this answer useful, and I hope you reply back with any questions or concerns.

*Please mark the question as Answered or rate it so other users can benefit from it*

Regards,

Cristian Gonzalez

Cisco eContent Developer 

Highlighted
Beginner

Thank you for your input

Thank you for your input.

Thankfully I have since discovered that the admin who changed the password must not have done a wr mem as when I rebooted the switch I was then able to login with previous credentials.  Phew!!