cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SG500-52P Losing Port Configs After Power Outage/Shutdown

boyerdccls
Level 1
Level 1

About a year ago we installed a Shoretel VOIP Phone System and needed new switches. Old ones were 10/100 and non-POE. I purchased several SG500-52Ps. They've been great except for one problem. When powered on after an extended power outage or shutdown for storms/hurricanes (I live in Florida) the vlan configs for some, but not all of the ports connected to the phones (that also then connect to a computer) have changed. I religiously save run to startup every time I make changes. The switch knows that things changed because my "save" blinks. What causes this? Do I have something setup incorrectly? The attached photo shows an example from the last time this happened. Ports 7-23 changed from 5T, 50UP (like port 6) to 1UP, 5T. Ports 28-35 (not shown) also changed. We use Shoretel 480G phones. I am an on-the-job-trained Systems Admin so go easy on me. Thanks for your assistance.

4 Replies 4

Lee Cox
Level 2
Level 2

I am no expert but I run a SG300-28 switch in layer 3 mode with multiple VLANs. 

When you connect multiple switches together with a trunked port the only untagged traffic gets passed through on the default VLAN.  I believe 1UP is your default VLAN as I don't think you can change it on these smaller Cisco switches.  So 50UP drops out.  You might try using 50T instead.  I guess you could use 1UP to make it work.

I assume you are using  trunked ports to connect to your phones because the workstations are plugging into the phones to reduce switch ports and they are both on different VLANs. 

If you switch over your 50UP VLAN it may break your 50UP VLAN as you switch over until it is all converted to a tagged VLAN.

Thanks Lee. I'm no expert either obviously. Even though I hold no certifications I read and study anything I don't know until I'm pretty comfortable that I have a good baseline knowledge of it. 

Though vlan 1 is the default vlan out of the box, following recommended protocols I changed it to a different vlan. In my case vlan 50. So in my case 5T is out voice vlan and 50UP is the default vlan allowing everything through to the desktop. 

Elsewhere on this forum I found one or two other posts similar to mine. In one, they suggested that it could be that smartports are on. In our case they are on, I remember our installation vendor setting them to on. The switch then automatically senses attached devices and tries to set the vlans appropriately. I think this is exactly what's happening. When rebooted/powered back on the smartport program is setting all the phone ports to what it "thinks" is correct- which are different than the vlans we manually setup. 

I spoke to our vendor on Friday and they agreed, saying smartports should not be enabled (obviously contradicting what the told us and setup during the original installation). 

So this morning, before everyone else got in I disabled the auto smartports- which changed a whole host of port vlan settings, which basically shut down access to everything- so I had to quickly re-enable smartports and manually reset the vlans on those ports.

I will have to do this some time after hours so I can see exactly what it changes and get them all set manually after disabling smartports.

You can change the default VLAN.  I have done this on many SG300, SG200, and SG500 switches:

https://sbkb.cisco.com/CiscoSB/GetArticle.aspx?docid=124c23ce138f48f5850e0761d567c2cd_Configuration_of_the_Default_VLAN_on_200_300_Series_Managed_.xml

Cheers!

divanko
Level 1
Level 1

You might look into the possibility that auto smartport, and/or auto voice vlan is causing you some problems.  I forced these functions off to make the configuration more deterministic and predictable.

A word of caution - be careful when manipulating these types of configurations on uplink interfaces between switches.

Cheers!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X