Views
Helpful
Replies

SG500 powers on, but wont boot, won't reset

Vedette
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Cisco SG500-52 switch.

On boot the Fan light comes on green, and the System light starts blinking green. No other lights show (no port lights at all).

I tried rebooting or resetting the switch using the small reset hole / button, but it doesn't respond at all. Not after 10 seconds, nor 30 seconds, nor a minute.

Any ideas? This switch did work at one time.

2 Replies 2

Vedette
Level 1
Level 1

Console is interesting.

It starts with this message:

MAC address is not valid!
MAC address is not valid, you can't use multicast or broadcast address.
Enter MAC address and press ENTER( XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX ) :

So it is asking me to enter in a MAC address? I left it blank and pressed enter just to see what would happen. Again it repeated:

MAC address is not valid, you can't use multicast or broadcast address. then Error occurred - MAC address not changed.

Then it asked for:

Enter Hardware Revision (XX.XX.XX):

Again I left it blank and pressed enter;

Hardware Revision was not changed.

Then it asked for:

Enter Serial Number:

Again blank and enter:

Serial Number was not changed.

Then it cycled back to the beginning:

Enter MAC address and press ENTER( XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX ) :

Seems like it is doing the initial setup that they do in the factory, maybe?

There is a Serial Number and a MAC ID on a barcode sticker on the back of the unit. Maybe I should try entering these values? However, I have no idea what to put for Hardware Revision. There is a PID VID on the same sticker which is SG500-52-K9 V01 but I'm not sure how to translate that into the XX.XX.XX format that the Console is requesting.

Ivo Saerak
Level 1
Level 1

It seems I have the similar issue with the same model of SG500-52. With that difference that I do have a valid MAC-address. I miss serial and hw version, still. I would like to set those as well, but how do I trigger that initial factory wipe of the device?