cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SG500 Stacking Cables

jhickman
Level 1
Level 1

Can anyone tell me if the Cisco cable SFP-H10GB-ACU10M will work with the SG500 series switches for stacking? It's not addressed in the User Manual.

We're using the passive SFP-H10GB-CU5M now, but need a few more feet.

I really need a 5Gb connection, before anyone suggests a standard SFP connection.

-J

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

jurodri3
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Mr. Hickman,

You could use both kind of cables, SFP-H10GB-ACU10M or SFP-H10GB-CU5M on this device without problems.

Diego Rodriguez

Cisco network engineer

Thank you

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

jurodri3
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Mr. Hickman,

You could use both kind of cables, SFP-H10GB-ACU10M or SFP-H10GB-CU5M on this device without problems.

Diego Rodriguez

Cisco network engineer

Thank you

Do you know if SFP-H10GB-ACU10M or SFP-H10GB-CU5M  will work with Catalyst WS-C2960X-48LPS-L or not for Stacking purposes? The FlexStack module is very expensive for Catalyst 2960 and was wondering if I can use the same SFP twinax cables for stacking purposes on Catalyst 2960. Will the configuration remain the same on the Catalyst or will it be different?

Thank you!

David Hornstein
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Jed,

Just to add to Juan post, for other folks that look at this posting.

Check out the table taken from the  Sx500 series admin guide, it shows what to expect in terms of if the ports are in stacking mode or in networking mode..

uplinks.jpg

You will note that the SFP-H10GB-CU5M or SFP-H10GB-CU3M cable in slot S3 or S4 connected between SG500 switches will sync up at 5Gig.

Thanks Juan for mentioning SFP-H10GB-ACU10M, I have no idea if this part has been validated, but thanks for the research.

Jed, I have  attached the admin guide for your and other folks  reference, It is freely available at cisco.com, but include it here as it has a really good section on stacking  and mentions SFP connectivity options..

regards Dave

David,

Thank you for replying. I had used the admin guide for my initial research. However, it did not mention the 10 meter cable, which is the distance I need.

I'm currently using the 5 meter cables with some success. However, we're going to change to the ring topology now and need a longer cable for the back haul.

-Jed

Hi Jed,

If it works with no issue, I am not sure why the 10 meter cable was excluded from the SG500 admin guide.

Just keep the packaging for the SFP-H10GB-ACU10M,  just in case it has to be returned to your distribution partner within the first 30 days.

Agreed,  it seems a more cost effective alternative to 10GbE Short duistance SFP  optics and fiber cables. :-)

have fun

regards Dave

Jonathan Fisher
Level 1
Level 1

Sorry to wake a dead thread, but can you post whether or not it worked for the benefit of the rest of us? Thank you!!!! :)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X