Views
Helpful
Replies

SG500X LAG 40G possible

onyXMaster
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

Is it possible to create a 40G LAG over S1+S4 switches between two SG500X in standalone mode (no stacking)?

Thanks   

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

trgood
Level 1
Level 1

I don't have the capability to test this as I don't have the required SFP modules however based on the information in the Admin guide as long as all the Ports in the LAG have the same media type this should be possible.

However, if you are using 2 SG500X switches it may be a better idea just to stack them.  (Granted I believe you could only get a max of 20G between the switches then).

-Trent Good

** Please rate useful posts! **

-Trent Good ** Please rate useful posts! **

View solution in original post

Hi Arist, yes this is possible. However you likely will never achieve 40 gig throughput. Even most internet backhauls uses 10 gig links.

If you set up a lag even for 20 gigs, you'd likely never reach even a 10 gig mark by time the data finished transferring, there wouldn't be a realistic way to test if it works however it is configurable.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

I tested this configuration last year when the 500x first came out. I was able to generated about 4 gigs of traffic at best on a 20 gig lag but thats with a lack of resources to do more. That was using the 1.2.9.77 firmware. I haven't tested it on the newer softwares.

-Tom

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

6 Replies 6

trgood
Level 1
Level 1

I don't have the capability to test this as I don't have the required SFP modules however based on the information in the Admin guide as long as all the Ports in the LAG have the same media type this should be possible.

However, if you are using 2 SG500X switches it may be a better idea just to stack them.  (Granted I believe you could only get a max of 20G between the switches then).

-Trent Good

** Please rate useful posts! **

-Trent Good ** Please rate useful posts! **

Thank you for the response. We currently stack the switches, but it _seems_ (we didn't do enough testing to be sure) that with two cables (SFP-H10GB), the stacking link is still only 10G (the second link is used as a ring topology failover element). If it would be 20G it would be enough for our needs.

Hi Arist, yes this is possible. However you likely will never achieve 40 gig throughput. Even most internet backhauls uses 10 gig links.

If you set up a lag even for 20 gigs, you'd likely never reach even a 10 gig mark by time the data finished transferring, there wouldn't be a realistic way to test if it works however it is configurable.

-Tom

Thank you, Tom! These switches are used as LAN ones and we have some pretty heavy throughput (for this class of hardware ofc) using teamed/bonded NICs between app servers and DBs, so we occasionally hit the 8G mark (our previous switches had a static 8-port 1G trunk) so I wanted to be sure if we could have some headroom after the upgrade.

I tested this configuration last year when the 500x first came out. I was able to generated about 4 gigs of traffic at best on a 20 gig lag but thats with a lack of resources to do more. That was using the 1.2.9.77 firmware. I haven't tested it on the newer softwares.

-Tom

Very interesting, Tom, it looks like we should test for this specifically. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X