---- --------------------------- --------------------------- ---------------

No.  Port  Connected Operational Port  Connected Operational   Stack   Speed

Unit      Speed             Unit      Speed         Ports

---- ----- --------- ----------- ----- --------- ----------- --------- -----

1   S1-XG link down    Down     S2-XG     2         10G     S1-S2-Xg   10G

2   S1-XG     3         10G     S2-XG     1         10G     S1-S2-Xg   10G

3   S1-XG     2         10G     S2-XG link down    Down     S1-S2-Xg   10G

Boot loader is 1.2.0.12.

Well everything seem work fine, but when we got a power cut, all the switchs enter in a boot loop. To resolve it I do:

1. remove all links between them

2.  break the booting process with esc key, manualy put the master in standalone

3. I this point I lost all the configuration, put the unit in native stack, and gradually reconect unit 2 and 3.

4. Restore the configuration.

I think this is not normal at all what should I do? Anyone of you got the same problem?

Thanks

Cheers

Antonello.

3 Replies 3

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Antonello, it sounds like some reason the switch may confuse the master configuration.

I'd recommend to manually set the switch stack ID and in the event of a power failure, shut down each switch then power up each switch #1, then #2, then #3. I believe this will avoid your complication.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

jethro002
Level 1
Level 1

The master/backup thing is quite confussing in my opinion. Last week I did a lot of tests with 4 sg500x switches and the best result I get when I setup the following:

sw1 - ID1

sw2 - ID3

sw3 - ID4

sw4 - ID5

I skipped ID2. The problem was when the master with ID1 died the switch with ID2 want to take over the role of switch 1 and rebooted. So when switch 1 died then switch 2 rebooted and 50% of the stack was down.

I think you only should use ID1 and ID2 if you want those switches to work in a failover setup. You connected your servers with lags so when one of the switches dies you still can reach the servers on this failover setup. If you don't need failover skip the Stack unit number 2.

When I reboot now one of the switches only that switch goes down. Even when I unplug all power en put it back they all boot just like jou should expect.

Hope this helps.

ps.

Sorry for my bad english

Hello Gays,

Thank you for your replay.

I resovle the issue making a upgrade to 1.3.5.58, I also set up the id in the way Tom said, and now it seems ok now.

With the old version I make also a try configuring the ID manually and in Auto, I got the same result. So I think the problem was a bug or something.

Jethro, sorry for my English too ; me too I found the documentation about the stack config quite poor and confiused. I also noted that if master goes down, backup take the lead of the stack, but when the master goes online again the backup reboot, there is a way to avoid this ? Can the backup keep the control of the stack untill you manually swith it or reboot ?

Thank you again.

Cheers Antonello.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X