Views
Helpful
Replies

SG550X: SSH treats period as Enter

chrullrich
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have an SG550X (actually, two of them stacked). Since about an hour ago, SSH sessions (me connecting to the switch) are treating the period "." as if there was an Enter key after it, or something like that.

Example (I want to type "ping www.example.com"):

switchxxyyzz#ping wwwPinging www.mydomain.com (...)

The period after "www" caused the CLI to start executing the command, and it resolved "www" using the configured name server.

This does not happen over the Console connection. It may have started after the SSH connection froze a few times when I was trying to paste lots of data into "crypto certificate 1 import". SSH sessions to other devices do not show this behavior.

What is going on, and is there a way to fix it (other than restarting the device)?

Thanks,

Christian

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

chrullrich
Level 1
Level 1

To answer my own question: Yes, the problem was the CLI freeze in crypto certificate import mode. Since the period is active then, and ends the non-line-based input mode, the SSH server must have put itself into a state where any period had this effect, even in other sessions.

Fix: "crypto certificate 1 import", then immediately enter a period.

The switch complains that an "illegal certificate was entered", and the period gets its normal behavior back. I have only tried this via SSH, so I don't know if it would have worked on the console as well, but I doubt it because the problem was not affecting the console either.

Lesson learned: Use the console or web interface for importing certificates.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

chrullrich
Level 1
Level 1

To answer my own question: Yes, the problem was the CLI freeze in crypto certificate import mode. Since the period is active then, and ends the non-line-based input mode, the SSH server must have put itself into a state where any period had this effect, even in other sessions.

Fix: "crypto certificate 1 import", then immediately enter a period.

The switch complains that an "illegal certificate was entered", and the period gets its normal behavior back. I have only tried this via SSH, so I don't know if it would have worked on the console as well, but I doubt it because the problem was not affecting the console either.

Lesson learned: Use the console or web interface for importing certificates.