cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SGE Series - Multicast Across VLANs

DJX995
Level 3
Level 3

Does anyone know if the SGE series switches support multicast across VLANs?

If so, how do you configure it?

I have IGMP snooping enabled globally and for each VLAN.

Bridge multicast filtering is enabled as well.

11 Replies 11

Davidwagman1
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

Yes, the SGE does support multicast forwarding. See p. 235 of the manual. Please note that is the printed page # and not the PDF page #.

As you already did, you need to enable IGMP snooping for each vlan under Bridging -> multicast -> igmp snooping.

Start on p. 242 of the manual above and configure igmp snooping mapping/ multicast forwarding to allow multicast forwarding across vlans.

Best,

David

Please rate helpful posts.

Hi,

Thanks for the post.

Unfortunately, the Multicast TV option does not appear in L3 mode.

Looks like this is not fully supported.

Thanks,

Dennis

Hi Dennis,

That doesn't sound right, does it?  I can tell you that it does work on the SG300 series in layer 3 mode, as I am using it here on my network. But the firmware looks very different (none of the "multicast tv" type language on my switches).

Maybe try contacting small biz support (866 606 1866 or via online chat) and see if they can offer any better ideas. Without one of the SGEs here infront of me to play with, thats the best I can do. If I remember correctly, those are the ones with the limited CLI?

Best,

David

I did try to contact them but I don't have a support contract with them so they tell me to go here.

Limited CLI, yes.
Ctrl-Z, then LCLI to get to "Sudo" Shell.

Dennis,

Is Multicast TV and multicast forwarding not showing up?

Can you try and config from the CLI? CLI guide here. See p 235.

Hopefully someone with the same model switch as yours will come by, unfortunately the ones I have here are just different enough to make troubleshooting with you difficult.

Best,

David

I appreciate you trying to help me.

On page 235 in that guide, I get stuff about RMON...

Here is what I have from the CLI:

SGE2010P# config

SGE2010P(config)# bridge

aging-time           To set the aging time of the address table

multicast            Global multicast commands

SGE2010P(config)# bridge multi

filtering            Enable multicast filtering rules

SGE2010P(config)# bridge multi filter

Here is what I have from the GUI:

Dennis,

Looks like you have forward under multicast. That's what you want. Create a multicast group, then under forwarding attach each interface necessary to the multicast group.

In igmp snooping, is auto learn enabled?

Best,

David

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

This is what is under Forward:

I wanted this to be all automatic though...this page only lets me force ports to forward multicast.

This is what is under IGMP Snooping:

...and Multicast Group:

I don't know if it will do it automatically, but it should work manually with the instructions above. In igmp snooping, click edit then enable auto learn, that may bring you closer to auto. See manual p.238 then 244 for more explicit instructions on setting up the multicast group, then forwarding.

Best,

David

Well,

I played with every single setting in there and I could not get it to multicast across VLANs.

The thing just doesn't seem to support it.

You can multicast across VLANs on the 300 series?

Yes, the sg300 can, and yours probably can too. It's either the settings or the application. What are you trying to accomplish with the multicast over vlan? I had a situation where I was trying to get a DNLA tv to find a DNLA media server (Dnla uses multicast broadcasts for discovery) on a different vlan/subnet. While multicast across vlan worked, the Samsung tv would only look for media servers on its own subnet, regardless of the multicast. You may be facing some limitation of your application, rather than the switch. How about you post some screenshots of the multicast config, then generate some multicast traffic on one vlan and use wireshark to see if you can see it on the other.

Best,

David

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X