Views
Helpful
Replies

SGE2010 - Firmware upgrade and config not saving

verukins1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

i have a few issues, but ill start off with what im trying to achieve.

Using the SGE 2010 for Microsoft NAP with 802.1x auth for switch access, which led to a few issues

What i have: An SGE 2010 48 port switch, firmware 3.0.0.17

Firmware upgrade: In order to ensure im not having problems due to old firmware, i tried to upgrade using ros_ls1_bp_ge_bx-3020.ros in order to move to 3.0.2, when uploading the file via TFTP, the upload completes and thats it, nothing happens.

Restarting the device: As part of the upgrade process, i thought i might of had to reboot, so i rebooted, and found that all my settings were wiped clean, as if a factory reset had been performed.... and add further to pain, the backup of settings that i had taken do not seem to want to re-apply.

NAP support: So i have tested my NPS (radius) server with NTRadping.exe and all is good, however i cannot get the SGE2010 to talk to it.... the authenticator state in the web interface is always listed as initialising.... im not sure if this is a simple incompatibility (hence the attempt at a firmware upgrade), a tag that needs to be set on the radius side or a switch misconfig.

So, in short:

1) how on earth do you upgrade the firmware?

2) why are none of my settings being saved when the device reboots ?

3) if anyone has set one of these up with NAP and has any pearls os wisdom, please let me know.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Ben, once you update the firmware, you need to go to the active image, apply the second image. Then reboot the unit. As far as the switch config, you must save the running config to the startup config

Admin -> File Management -> Copy Files (running to startup)

-Tom
Please rate helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Ben, once you update the firmware, you need to go to the active image, apply the second image. Then reboot the unit. As far as the switch config, you must save the running config to the startup config

Admin -> File Management -> Copy Files (running to startup)

-Tom
Please rate helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Thanks thomas - that did it the trick.....  unfortunately i still cannot get the switch talking to ther NAP server.... but at least now i know its not firmware.

i do find it confusing that its been made relatively obscure to get into the cli, and then commands like write mem are not available... maybe im just living in the dark ages.... :-)

You must to Copy Running to Backup config first an then Backup to Startup config!!! I almost went crazy with this issue but i solved in this way!!

best regards