cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Shared Ports

sduttonusa
Level 1
Level 1

I just purchased an SG-300 52 port switch.  Sorry for my ignorance, but I'm not sure I understand the use of the extra ports.  To the right of the 48 ports are a group of 4 ports.  Are these what is referred to as the four shared ports?  In practical terms, if I wire the 48 ports to different rooms in our office, and I have two other devices at the rack I want to connect to the SG-300 (a cable modem and a NAS Drive), what port numbers should these two devices be connected to?

Steve

3 Replies 3

David Hornstein
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Steve,

I have attached the install  guide guide, for other folks reference.  This document should be found in the shipping group of your switch or at;

http://www.cisco.com/cisco/web/solutions/small_business/products/routers_switches/300_series_switches/index.html-tab-Models

It shows that port 51 and port 52 and shared ports, highlighted in the red rectacle below.

So that you can,  if you wish,  have either a optical fiber link or a LAN copper cable link on those two shared ports.  But not both  active on that model at a time. Remember that Cat5 or Cat6 should only run Ethernet around 100 meters (328 feet).

So we include two Small Form Factor pluggable (SFP) or as some people cal them mini GBIC ports to allow you to extend Ethernet over fiber for long distance Ethernet communications.  To do this you need to purchase a SFP or mijni GBIC transceiver.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps9934/prod_models_comparison.html

.Hope this helps you and other to understand .

regards Dave

Thanks, Dave, for your quick and helpful reply.  So if I understand the diagram, along with what you've said, if I don't use the two MiniGBIC ports, the other 52 ports are all the same . . . I can plug any network device into any port.  (Ports 51 & 52 are "shared" with the two MiniGBIC ports only when those ports are in use.)  Correct?

Steve

Hi Steve,

Buy shared , I'll re-iterate, if you use a SFP or miniGBIC card,  the corresponding copper GbE port will be come inactive.

regards dave

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X