cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SLM 2024 VLAN Config help

Lawrence McCoy
Level 1
Level 1

I'm new to managed networking.  So I'm having trouble understanding how to set up my switches properly.  I have a closed network with about 20 switches and 2 IDF's.  No router, and no internet.  I have a SLM 2024 in want to have 4 ports set up with a VLAN.  I have another SLM2024 I want to be on the same VLAN some where else. Switch 1 uses port 24 GBIC as and uplink port to one of the IDF's.  Switch 2 uses ports 12 and 24 copper(LACP) to make a hop from another switch(ports 1 and 13 LACP)which inturn is connected to thesame IDF on port 24 GBIC.  How do I set up switch 1 ports 7,8,19,20?  Also, how do I set up switch 2 ports 7,8,19,20?  VLAN 11

Thanks for any help

5 Replies 5

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello Lawrence,

To create a VLAN;

• Navigate to VLAN MANAGEMENT -> CREATE VLAN
  • To assign a port to a VLAN go to PORT to VLAN then select the VLAN you want to assign to a port, by default it is VLAN 1
  • Any port you wish to be an exclusive member of VLAN 11, assign as an untagged member
  • Any port you are uplinking (switch to switch) should be assigned as default vlan untagged, additional vlan tagged

Let me know if this is helpful or if I may clarify anything.

-Tom

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

• Any port you are uplinking (switch to switch) should be assigned as default vlan untagged, additional vlan tagged

Does this mean that VLAN 11 should have the uplink ports tagged?

Lawrence McCoy
Level 1
Level 1

What about LAG groups?

Lawrence,

If you're connecting something which is to be a member of only vlan 11, it should be 11 untagged. The links connecting between switches should have a default vlan untagged, 11 tagged to allow both VLAN to travel over the wire.

To configure lag group;

• Navigate to PORT MANAGEMENT -> LINK AGGREGATION
  • Edit LAG 1, you may use LACP or a static LAG, the difference being if a static LAG, both sides are configured with ports associated in the LAG group. If using LACP, enable the LACP, specify the ports of the LAG then specify on the connecting device to allow LACP packet.
  • On the bottom of the LAG member page, hit the tick box to select what ports are a member of the LAG
  • Save the configuration

*Remember once a LAG is created, it is like any other port and can be configured as such

-Tom

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Lawrence McCoy
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for the help.  I think I got it now.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X