cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SLM2008 8-Port Gigabit Smart Switch with PD and AC Power Firmware Update

Biyahero
Level 1
Level 1

I have two End of Life Products, which have never been used. 

SLM2008 8-Port Gigabit Smart Switch with PD and AC Power

I believe that the normal Firmware update procedure as described in the User Guide will probably not work since it is EOL.

Is there a way I could get the latest firmware file for these devices so I could update them before using them?
2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

I believe Cisco simply rebranded the SLM2008 from the original lightblue and silver metal finished Linksys device rather than releasing different hardware and chipset for their Cisco branded SLM2008. I applied the v2.0.0.10 firmware to the linksys hardware with no issues. The scenario as described in https://techhead.co/linksys-cisco-slm2008-switch-updating-firmware-from-v1-0-1-to-2-0-0-10 pretty much describes my experience. If you have the metal finished linksys as in pic related, then applying the v2.0.0.10 firmware will work perfectly well.

View solution in original post

Thank you so much /dev/mapper!  

Finally I get the real answer to this issue!  I don't know where you were able to get the firmware, since as someone pointed out in the comments on the TechHead Article, the download link doesn't work anymore ... although the link in your message does work, and I have saved multiple copies of the firmware file in various places, so that I will have access to it in the future.

I do indeed have the Linksys branded version as in the picture you attached and based on your experiences and the article in the TechHead article I am 100% sure this will work ... although since it is working fine with the original software I think I will delay this firmware upgrade for now on the principle of "if it ain't broke don't fix it".

Thank you very very much for posting the solution to this perplexing issue!!

View solution in original post

17 Replies 17

Rosica Sareva
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Please, check if you have access to the following link - there is the firmware for these switches:

https://software.cisco.com/download/home/282414081/type/282463182/release/2.0.0.10

If you can access it, should be logged in with your CCO ID, and download the file - there is no problem to upgrade your switches, no mater of the EoL.

Hi Rosica,

I can access the URL you gave me but when I try to download it, I get a
message that the file is no longer available.
Is there perhaps a way you could gain access to it and send it to me?

Best Regards,

Dave Martin

Thanks for your response.  Unfortunately when I try to download the file, I get a message that it is no longer available for download!

Could you possibly access it somehow and send it to me?

Thanks....

Hello Dave,

Please try the following link:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/switches/sg200-08-8-port-gigabit-smart-switch/model.html#~tab-downloads

Is your switch looking the same?

Cheers, 

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply!  Unfortunately my two Smart Switches do not look like that.  I've attached a picture of the unopened still shrink wrapped box of one of them.  It says both LinkSys and Cisco on the unit ... I guess that it was a product that was sold while the companies were combining.  

If I call Linksys their "tech support" is pretty much useless and they always tell me to call Cisco because the name of the product is "Business Series".  I bought these two SLM2008 Business Series Smart Switches a long time ago, and just never used them yet, but would like to use one of them now since my old Cisco SD2008 Gigabit Switch doesn't seem to be quite up to the task of Netflix streaming even though I have a Fiber Gigabit connection to the house, so I am hoping that being able to prioritize the port of this switch that is connected to my Apple TV would make Netflix streaming work better.

The device that you thought I had (Cisco SG200-08 8-Port Gigabit Smart Switch)

appears to not be EOL like my switch is and doesn't say both Linksys and Cisco on it, so I believe it is a completely different product. 

If you could help me obtain the correct latest firmware for what I do have, I would really appreciate it.  Sorry it took awhile for me to reply, but I had to dig it out of my stock to take a picture of what it actually looked like.

Thanks for your help!

Best Regards,

Dave

Hi Dave

Did you get anywhere with finding the latest firmware for the SLM2008? I am in the same boat, have an old one that I need to use, and want to do an update.

When I try to download the software from the link in a previous post, I am not able to download, the site seems to error.

Cheers,

Gavin

Hi Gavin,

No I never was successful in downloading that firmware.  I just tried again and got two different error messages, depending on whether I click on the download icon on the right or on the firmware name on the left.

So I just have been using it with the original firmware and didn't try to configure it at all, and just connected it and started using it.  So far it works fine and solved the problems caused by my old switch.... streaming Netflix works perfectly with this where it basically didn't work at all with my old switch.

Still it would be nice to be able to update the firmware. I notice that one of those error messages says if you continue to experience this problem to contact web-help@cisco.com and I haven't tried that yet. If you try that and it works out please let me know!

Best Regards,

Dave

Hello,

Please, try the following link:

https://software.cisco.com/download/home/283454003/type/282463182/release/1.0.8.3?i=!pp

Is it working?

Hope it helps

Cheers, 

Mike

Hi Mike

I am able to successfully download that firmware. However, that is for a different switch, unless you are able to confirm that this firmware will work on the SLM2008?

Cheers,

Gavin

Hi Mike,

Thanks for trying to help.  Unfortunately we tried this before some time ago and the link you provided is for a completely different switch!  The device we have is NOT the: 

SG200-08 8-Port Gigabit Smart Switch 

for which the link you provided wants to supply the file SG200-08x_FW_1.0.8.3.stk for Firmware Version 1.0.8.3 of the device SG200-08 8 Port Gigabit Smart Switch.  This device is not what we have!

We need the file SLM2008v2.0.0.10.wrp for version 2.0.1.10 of the firmware for the actual device we have:

SLM2008 Smart Switch 8-Port Gigabit Smart Switch with PD and AC Power

Here is the correct URL for that Firmware... which just produces error messages.

https://software.cisco.com/download/home/282414081/type/282463182/release/2.0.0.10

and attached is a screenshot for that URL... well it appears 8-Port Gigabit Smart Switch with PD and AC Power Firmware Update Cisco removed the screenshot URL as "Your post has been changed because invalid HTML was found in the message body."
If you could assist us in obtaining THAT firmware, it would be very appreciated!

Responding to an old thread with firmware v2.0.0.10 for SLM2008 8-Port in case anyone else needs this. Zip file contains the firmware.

Filename: SLM2008v2.0.0.10.wrp
MD5: 45f9ec85527a3b2f9f65e429408e92a5
File size: 785918 bytes

Thank you so much for that update of this old thread, /dev/mapper!

Now, I wonder if the Version 2 shown on the firmware file refers to the hardware device itself, or to the firmware version.

If there are two versions of the SLM2008 8-Port Gigabit Smart Switch with PD and AC Power hardware, and I don't have version 2 and my device(s) are Version 1, what would happen if I applied or attempted to apply the firmware update for a version 2 device to a Version 1 device?  Would it refuse to install as incompatible, or make the device not function anymore?

My device does not have a version number shown on the box(s) or on the device itself.

If it is possible to determine the model number from the device serial number, I have, according to the labelling:

SLM2008 10/100/1000 Smart Switch with PD and AC Power
S/N: RQQ00J400722   GPD2506
MAC: XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
FG NO: 1000-05023    Small Stcker: 74-8219-01 (the8 could be a 6)

If there is only one version of the hardware and the Version 2 refers to the firmware version, then there shouldn't be any problem.

Any thoughts about this would be welcome!

I believe Cisco simply rebranded the SLM2008 from the original lightblue and silver metal finished Linksys device rather than releasing different hardware and chipset for their Cisco branded SLM2008. I applied the v2.0.0.10 firmware to the linksys hardware with no issues. The scenario as described in https://techhead.co/linksys-cisco-slm2008-switch-updating-firmware-from-v1-0-1-to-2-0-0-10 pretty much describes my experience. If you have the metal finished linksys as in pic related, then applying the v2.0.0.10 firmware will work perfectly well.

Thank you so much /dev/mapper!  

Finally I get the real answer to this issue!  I don't know where you were able to get the firmware, since as someone pointed out in the comments on the TechHead Article, the download link doesn't work anymore ... although the link in your message does work, and I have saved multiple copies of the firmware file in various places, so that I will have access to it in the future.

I do indeed have the Linksys branded version as in the picture you attached and based on your experiences and the article in the TechHead article I am 100% sure this will work ... although since it is working fine with the original software I think I will delay this firmware upgrade for now on the principle of "if it ain't broke don't fix it".

Thank you very very much for posting the solution to this perplexing issue!!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X