cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SLM2008 Transmit Hash Policy

jerry.cope
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone know which transmit hash policies are supported by the SLM2008? I can't find this information in any of the documentation for this switch, all that is stated is that it supports Link Aggregation using IEEE 802.3ad LACP.

I'm connecting to a Netgear ReadyNAS Pro that supports Layer 2 and Layer 3+4 transmit hash policies and I'm not sure which to choose (or whether it matters).

Many thanks.

2 Replies 2

Hong Bum Kim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I have just arrived at the same question when I found that all traffic was going via one member in one of my tests.

I have a Synology 1511+ using LAG (LACP) to SLM2008 with two PCs (non LAG) transmitting. I tried changing one of the IP address but made no difference, which makes me think that it's not IP (DST and/or SRC IP hash).

I have a strong suspicion that it could be MAC hashing as when I tested with a different set of computers, I was able to utilise both members.

If I do manage to get another NIC (that hopefully will hash the other way) and test, I will post back.

WRT your NAS' hash policy, it depends on how many devices will be doing most of the transfers to/from the NAS, and what kinds of applications.

If you have a large number (eg more than 4), I would definitely include L4 info as the diversity in the L4 ports should give you a good distribution. But this is only when your NAS is transmitting. On the other hand, if you're like me where I have two main devices that will do 90% of the transfers and all via SMB, I would choose L3 and make one of the IP +1 of the other.

Didn't have to buy a new NIC. Just tested by changing my MAC address by +1. Now both LAG members are being utilised.